PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Tapping Season - Connecticut

aviboy97
01-01-2019, 11:18 AM
Happy New Year everyone!

I recall last season, tapping started very early, second week of January I believe. Now that it’s New Year’s Day and it’s 52 degrees out and the forecast does not show for freezing temperatures anytime soon, I was wondering if sugaring season is projected to start early again. Should Intap my trees in two weeks or wait until February? I’m located in Southwestern CT.

Anyone with insight would appreciated. Thank you!

valleyman
01-01-2019, 11:52 AM
Its good to be ready but I expect ol' man winter will set in before to long. If you tap in too early, the holes will prob dry up on you potentially in the prime part of the season. Last season, I tapped at the end of January and had a great season even though some dried up on me. I like to save some trees as backup for later run.

CTfarm
01-01-2019, 05:17 PM
Hope it's later. Scrambling to pull all my equipment together. Got out 3 years ago valleyman but this year I got sucked in again just because I had so many down trees on the farm. Got to do something with all that wood, right? I too am a one person show.

valleyman
01-01-2019, 06:33 PM
Hey CT,
Welcome back! Sounds like you're a busy solo show with a 2x5, nice ! Yea, funny how sugarin' is like being in the mob...once you're in there's no getting out. And Im just a small time hobbyist with maple fevor. Can only imagine being bigtime.

Mike Van
01-02-2019, 04:44 AM
If you look at the 15 day [not that it's always right] for us, the sap is going to run most every day. I'd be really tempted but.............. I won't have an evaporator 'till the 20th or so. I'd need every pot & pan in Kent to keep up 'till it comes.

markgm
01-05-2019, 02:29 PM
I tapped on January 15th last year, and every time I look at the forecast now I think to myself "why haven't you tapped already?" I used check valves in buckets (and bags) and had most everything dry up about 6 weeks later. I tapped different trees and the season went about another 4 weeks for me. I'll look at where the forecast is in 2 weeks. This year I'm going to experiment with a vacuum system, and I've digitized as much stuff as I can think to. I just finished assembling a stand for my RO, it should make working with the sap a little easier.

aviboy97
01-06-2019, 03:29 PM
I’m ready to go. I have a fridge in my garage dedicated to storing sap since temps are questionable outside. I might drill a hole in one of my trees and see if there is flow. I don’t want to miss out on that early syrup.

I have 18 trees I can tap. I’m just a small operation making syrup for home use and giving some away to friends and family.

Mike Van
01-07-2019, 04:35 AM
Just check this out https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USCT0102:1:US I'd wait, just my opinion

aviboy97
01-08-2019, 09:35 PM
Just check this out https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USCT0102:1:US I'd wait, just my opinion

Yeah, I saw that too. Cold temps are on the way. Looks like February it is.

scottdevine
01-12-2019, 04:33 PM
Mark, post some pix so these folks can see some of the amazing things you have created!

Helicopter Seeds
01-14-2019, 07:38 PM
I had considered tapping earlier as well, The cold blast will let me procrastinate maybe, but after this, I am thinking of tapping as soon as we get a favorable ten-day outlook from a weekend start. Last year I did superbowl sunday. I want to be ready the week earlier this time, so two weeks away maybe?...

Cjadamec
01-18-2019, 05:35 PM
Spent the last few days fixing my tubing runs. Finished up moving the evaporator under my new shed overhang. Excited to be out of the weather for boiling this year.

Helicopter Seeds
01-19-2019, 08:53 PM
After seeing the data from Dr. Joe Orefice from Yale today, seems mid February is still a good plan. Earlier runs may be lighter sugar.

ScottyWelden
01-20-2019, 08:08 AM
I have a tapping decision to make (eastern CT). My wife and I will be travelling to Arizona from Feb 15-21. If I tap before that, I have to find somebody to collect sap for me (50+ drop lines into buckets--takes me 30+ minutes per day), or I wait until after Feb 21. Would I lose out on a lot of sap if I waited? Opinions welcome!

Cjadamec
01-20-2019, 12:26 PM
Unless you really want to get those one or two runs that are likely in early February I would just wait till after your trip. Saves you the trouble of wondering how your taps are doing while you are away. Not to mention the risk of any sap spoiling in possible warm weather by the time you get home.

My drill finger is getting itchy but I have to wait for the taps I ordered to show up so that's keeping me from jumping early. In the next week or two I'm gonna put the 3/16 tubing to work. The coastal weather makes my season start earlier than you inland folks.

Sugar Bear
01-22-2019, 07:56 PM
I have a tapping decision to make (eastern CT). My wife and I will be travelling to Arizona from Feb 15-21. If I tap before that, I have to find somebody to collect sap for me (50+ drop lines into buckets--takes me 30+ minutes per day), or I wait until after Feb 21. Would I lose out on a lot of sap if I waited? Opinions welcome!

While late January tapping has been a great success in recent years the days of old are not necessarily gone for good.

Don't worry about it until weather suitable for taping shows up in the long range forecast. It is entirely possible the first reasonable run may not happen until Feb 15 or later.

Don't cross the bridge or worry about crossing the bridge till the bridge is open.

Last year I put most of my taps in in late January in two sets in two different regions 30 miles apart . I put another 6 taps in in late February in a third location and those taps were the most productive of all my taps.

One (yes 1) of my Late February taps was overflowing a 5 (yes five) gallon bucket after just 24 hours. The others were close.

Early tapping is overrated with regards to productivity unless of course enough warm weather blows out the season early, But even in 2019, odds are fairly heavily (at least 80 %) in your favor that will not happen.

Cheers

DrTimPerkins
01-23-2019, 08:18 AM
Early tapping works well for those producers using moderate/high vacuum and excellent spout/tubing sanitation practices. Taphole lifespan (the length of time the sap will flow) can run 3-4 months before productivity drops off substantially. Tapping well before the season begins is fine under these conditions. This strategy is employed mostly by those producers who have so many taps that they need to have a month or two to get all their taps in.

Early tapping is NOT indicated for those using gravity collection (bags, buckets, gravity tubing...note that 3/16" tubing on a slope is VACUUM tubing). Taphole longevity in this case is only 3-8 weeks (typically only 3-5 wks) unless the weather gets really warm during that time. Best to wait until just before the sap will run well for an extended period.

Cjadamec
01-23-2019, 09:47 AM
Not that anybody doubts Dr. Tim but my experience with 3/16 tubing on a slope with natural vacuum is exactly as he described. I tapped Jan 19th last year and saw consistent sap flow right up until the end of the season. I use 5/16 spouts and drops tee'd into the 3/16 line to improve tap hole life. Due to my small number of taps I decided it was cheap enough to replace all of my drops and spouts this year to improve my second year sanitation as much as possible.

Of course none of that would be possible if I hadn't learned everything I could reading up on this here.

Now I just need a trick to make my trees give me more sugar, last year I was averaging just over 1%. Maybe some sort of ancient sugar dance passed down thru the generations might help. :lol:

Sugar Bear
01-23-2019, 12:17 PM
At this point here across southern New England, ( coastal areas not necessarily included ) for the next 10-15 days the forecast shows no good window for sap running for an extended period of time. That as we know can change but if it does not it puts us well into February.

My recommendation would be to take the following steps.

1) Put your drill bit next to or even into your drill. i.e. this is longhand for "have everything ready"

2) Go to Arizona.

3) Have fun in the sun, even bring some of your syrup from last year and tease them with it a bit.

4) Come back on the 21

5) Probably put your taps in on the night or next day you get back, but do check the weather.

I'll bet you 10 gallons ( of syrup ) that the trees will be ready, willing and able!

ScottyWelden
01-23-2019, 05:35 PM
I like this plan!

Cjadamec
01-26-2019, 06:47 PM
Got all my taps in today all the trees in the sun started running as soon as the hole was drilled. Tomorrow the high is 46 and Monday and Tuesday around 40. Should be a nice little early run then back to freezing for a few days.

Not sure if it's just my mind playing tricks on me but the sap seemed to taste a lot sweeter this year than what I remember from last year.

aviboy97
01-27-2019, 05:46 PM
Got all my taps in today all the trees in the sun started running as soon as the hole was drilled. Tomorrow the high is 46 and Monday and Tuesday around 40. Should be a nice little early run then back to freezing for a few days.

Not sure if it's just my mind playing tricks on me but the sap seemed to taste a lot sweeter this year than what I remember from last year.

I plan on tapping next week. We are expecting 0 degree temps in the coming days. The 15 day forecast calls for above freezing days and below freezing nights. Just what we want.

Let us know how your first run turns out!

Cjadamec
01-27-2019, 06:03 PM
Last I checked, at 330 pm, both of my two 3/16 runs were a solid stream into my barrels. Still tastes sweeter then last year.

As of 7pm it's still 41 outside should be above freezing thru 1am where I am.

Hoping by Wednesday morning I will have enough to start a boil. Need 25 gal just to fill my evaporator. At least 100 gallons to make it worth finishing anything.

Cjadamec
01-28-2019, 04:27 PM
Not a bad day collected 50gallons of sap from last night's run. I'm hoping for another 50 gallons or so tomorrow night so I can boil everything Wednesday before I end up with big blocks of ice.

My cheap refractometer and my tounge are telling me I have sweeter sap this year.

Putting my new sap hauler to work.

Tobey802
01-28-2019, 06:14 PM
I have a small set up with 48 on tubing and 30 buckets by looking at the weather I will tap on Sunday.

Kjsdime
01-29-2019, 07:17 PM
What are you using for a pump?

Cjadamec
01-30-2019, 06:26 AM
What are you using for a pump?

I got a 12v transfer pump from amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAGVGN3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)last year it works well but isn't the quickest in the world. It takes about 3 min to fill a 5 gallon bucket. Last year I just carried an old battery with me, luckily this year I upgraded to a new tractor which carries the buckets and the battery for me now.

aviboy97
02-03-2019, 11:44 AM
Tapped my trees today. Currently 40 degrees outside and abouve freezing temps during the day in the forecast and below freezing nights. I’m a very small operation, mainly for personal use and some give to friends.

13 taps today. I have a few more I could tap, but with my work schedule and storage restraints, I can only make syrup once a week. I’d rather not be discarding sap for no reason.

Hopefully I get a good first run for that delicious light golden color.

Cjadamec
02-03-2019, 11:59 AM
The weather this week looks like a really nice run. My weather station said 47 at around noon. Both my tubing runs are running very well at the moment.

Mike Van
02-03-2019, 03:35 PM
I tapped one - Really, all I had time for - More tomorrow for sure. Not where I want to be right now doing an evaporator upgrade, but thats how it worked out. More to come on that subject...................

Kjsdime
02-04-2019, 05:42 AM
Tapped 18 in total this weeken. Not much running yet, hoping for good production today. Thanks for the pump infor!

Tobey802
02-04-2019, 09:10 AM
I was able to tap the 78 I have yesterday afternoon the short time they where out they ran great! I may expand a little more this coming weekend to get 100 for the year

CTfarm
02-04-2019, 01:32 PM
I won't make this run but I'm almost ready. I finished bricking my new Mason arch today. Used 1/4 inch arch
paper and about 110 splits. Still have to clean the drop
flue pan and run a test boil. Hopefully I'll be ready by the end of the week.

Cjadamec
02-04-2019, 02:40 PM
It hit 58 at my house today. There is a solid stream of sap running out the end of my tubing, about 40 gallons so far and a long time to go before it get back close to freezing. I'm gonna have a lot of boiling to do this week.

Cjadamec
02-04-2019, 02:42 PM
I won't make this run but I'm almost ready. I finished bricking my new Mason arch today. Used 1/4 inch arch
flue pan and run a test boil. Hopefully I'll be ready by the end of the week.

Nice looking arch.

Mike Van
02-04-2019, 04:55 PM
flue pan and run a test boil. Hopefully I'll be ready by the end of the week. You & me both today - I used 1" insulation boards & just over 100 brick in a 2x6, my back is about on fire from being bent over all day.

Cjadamec
02-04-2019, 05:07 PM
My back hurts just thinking about that brick. I still fondly remember long hours out in the cold welding my evaporator together.

Went out just before dark and collected 50 gallons to make room in the collection barrles. Tubing was still running like this the whole time.

Mike Van
02-04-2019, 06:35 PM
Hard to believe it was -2F just 3 days ago - Get it while you can -

Kjsdime
02-04-2019, 06:45 PM
Quick question, I am fairly new to this and did ok last year. I have 18 trees tapped but I never really get a good run. Like today, I feel like I should have 30 or 40 gallons but I might have 10. Granted I only have one sugar maple and the rest are red or silver. Is that the reason or am I doing something wrong?

markgm
02-04-2019, 06:55 PM
Quick question, I am fairly new to this and did ok last year. I have 18 trees tapped but I never really get a good run. Like today, I feel like I should have 30 or 40 gallons but I might have 10. Granted I only have one sugar maple and the rest are red or silver. Is that the reason or am I doing something wrong?
10 gallons off of 18 is great, over half a gallon per tree. If you get 10 gallons a tap over a season, you got over 5% of that in one day.

Kjsdime
02-04-2019, 07:16 PM
Oh, ok. It just seems like guys talk about a stream coming out of trees but I guess that's on a line system where I'm using buckets. Is that a good assumption?

aviboy97
02-04-2019, 07:48 PM
I think I may have a problem. All my taps are leaking. Not sure if I drilled too deep into the tree or not. Had some sap collection today, but not a lot. The trees are soaked underneath the tap.

Will the trees heal around the tap? Just the sight of it makes me worried that I’m wasting so much and not collecting what i should be.

Thoughts?

I’ll upload pics in the morning.

Cjadamec
02-04-2019, 08:11 PM

When I was doing buckets I was thrilled with a 10 gallon day on 25 taps.

If you see people with high gallons per tap per day they are on vacuum. Either they have a vacuum pump or are running a 3/16 tubing with excellent slope. Or possibly it's a "fish story."

I'm running 3/16 tubing on about 75 feet of elevation drop. I have two top to bottom runs and each run has 25-30 taps. My property is ideal for maximizing natural gravity.

Mike Van
02-05-2019, 04:54 AM
I think I may have a problem. All my taps are leaking. Not sure if I drilled too deep into the tree or not. Had some sap collection today, but not a lot. The trees are soaked underneath the tap.

Will the trees heal around the tap? Just the sight of it makes me worried that I’m wasting so much and not collecting what i should be.

Thoughts?

I’ll upload pics in the morning. You may have driven them in to far, too hard & split the tree? Or, they are not in tight enough, you can try to wiggle a few, if they pull right out, they were too loose and need just a bit more on the hammer. Or lastly, if you holes are egg shape from not holding the drill steady, they will leak longer. Most all will stop leaking in time, unless they are too loose.

markgm
02-05-2019, 06:55 AM

Thoughts?

I'd give the taps a few days before worrying. It might be some sap from the tree around the tap, which you wouldn't capture anyway with a tap .

Cjadamec
02-05-2019, 01:39 PM
What a nice way to spend a 60 degree February afternoon.

Kjsdime
02-05-2019, 02:46 PM
What a nice way to spend a 60 degree February afternoon.very nice!!

DrTimPerkins
02-05-2019, 03:09 PM
I'd give the taps a few days before worrying. It might be some sap from the tree around the tap, which you wouldn't capture anyway with a tap .

Good advice. From the Dec 2017 "Ask Proctor" article in the Maple Digest about leaking tapholes....

When tapping a tree, producers are creating a wound. During subsequent thaws, the natural process of sap exudation results in pressure building up in the wood tissue around the wound, and sap flows out. Typically, such flow will occur through a spout that has been inserted in the taphole because it is the path of least resistance. However, for a brief period of time after tapping producers may notice a disconcerting wetness on the bark around the wound and sap running down the stem of trees from the area around the outside of the taphole. While producers may feel the desire to take immediate corrective action, it is actually a very normal wound response. The injured area of wood on the outside of the spout barrel will naturally weep sap. Since this sap cannot move into the taphole due to the blockage of the spout body, it migrates to the wounded surface of the taphole along the wound edge and comes out. If the temperature is cold or windy, the wetness might dry out quickly and go unnoticed. If the sap is running well during or soon after tapping, this wetness will be more prominent. Often if let alone, within a few days the wood tissue in this area along the outer edge of the spout/taphole interface will dry out and the seepage will cease.

In short, leave them alone for a few days. If they're still leaking after that, then look for other causes/solutions. Anything you do now has the potential to just make any problem (real or imagined) worse.

The two Maple Digest "Ask Proctor" articles about leaking tapholes can be found at: https://mapleresearch.org/search/?_sf_s=leaking%20tapholes

aviboy97
02-05-2019, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the input about leaking taps. I’ll let them be. It much I could do anyway.

Today I collected a good amount. Currently have 9 gallons of sap. Again, being a very small operation, I usually boil when I have 15-18 gallons. I have two propane burners and two stainless steel “lobster” pots I boil in and then transfer to my cook top inside.

Tomorrow’s forecast is similar to today. I expect a good amount collected when I get home from work.

Cjadamec
02-05-2019, 04:48 PM
As long as we get another freeze tonight, and it looks like we should, tomorrow will be another good day. I got about 100 gallons of sap in the last 2 days.

Cjadamec
02-05-2019, 05:22 PM
Love the nighttime ambiance the new shed gives.

Tobey802
02-05-2019, 08:08 PM
I collect 105 gallons of sap from the last 2 today’s and started to boil tonight almost made my firat syrup of the year! Hope to draw off a little tomorrow. 19358

Sugar Bear
02-06-2019, 07:59 PM

Thoughts?

If it does not dry up within a few days then you are not drilling the hole straight enough. Make certain to go straight in and straight out. The more yaw you have on your drill motion, either vertically or horizontally, the more of an oval shaped hole you will have and the barrel of your spout will not seal it off very well.

Been there done that, but I am good now.

Sugar Bear
02-06-2019, 08:02 PM
I collect 105 gallons of sap from the last 2 today’s and started to boil tonight almost made my firat syrup of the year! Hope to draw off a little tomorrow. 19358

I noticed you have 48 taps on tubing and 30 on buckets. Can you break down the 105 gallons between the 48 tubings and 30 buckets? Or was that not kept track of?

Tobey802
02-07-2019, 09:56 PM
I noticed you have 48 taps on tubing and 30 on buckets. Can you break down the 105 gallons between the 48 tubings and 30 buckets? Or was that not kept track of?

Unfortunately I didn’t keep track of that. The lot I am on hardly has any grade change to it so my yield is most likely down a little untill I get a vacuum some day

Cjadamec
02-08-2019, 03:21 PM
It's been a nice run this week I'm at 180 gallons this afternoon. Even on marginal days the 3/16 tubing keeps running once it's primed up and going.

Cjadamec
02-16-2019, 10:41 AM
Almost about 180 gallons of sap in the last 3 days. Putting the Spurs to the evaporator today to try and catch up. Tubing is still running but mercifully it has slowed down today.

BSD
02-16-2019, 11:49 AM
Going to slow things down this year, i made so much syrup last year there is no need (hard to say that!) to make as much as possible this year. I'm going back down to only one wood lot where i am fortunate enough to leave the tubing up all season. I finally got in the game yesterday and the 3/16 is cranking like always. started collecting yesterday around 3pm and it ran overnight. and pulled 350L (92gal) off about 85 taps. I'm curious just how much they would have pushed out if it was a full day's capture. It looks like it's cranking again today when i walked out of the woods at noon. I did get another string up, should be up to around 105 taps now i believe.

Kjsdime
02-16-2019, 12:23 PM
Almost about 180 gallons of sap in the last 3 days. Putting the Spurs to the evaporator today to try and catch up. Tubing is still running but mercifully it has slowed down today.how many taps do you have?

Cjadamec
02-16-2019, 12:32 PM
Well I guess I was starving my arch for air a bit. I just threw a blower I salvaged from an inflatable Xmas decoration in line with my current blowe. My stack temp shot up about 150 degrees and the sap almost jumped out of the pan. I guess this means my wood pile is going to shrink faster.

Tobey802
02-16-2019, 01:55 PM
Collected 65 gallons from yesterday early this morning, boiling now! Really need a shurflo and a s3 control system from mountain maple. My woods is so flat

lafite
02-16-2019, 02:51 PM
boiled 130 gallons and drew off a quart....the pan is sweet and I'm out of sap!

aviboy97
02-16-2019, 07:39 PM
boiled 130 gallons and drew off a quart....the pan is sweet and I'm out of sap!

That math doesn’t add up. Maybe 13 gallons and your yield was a qt??

aviboy97
02-16-2019, 07:43 PM
Anyone here have their syrup have a butterscotch taste? VT syrup doesn’t have that aftertaste, yet mine always does, especially early season syrup.

My pots are stainless steel and I boil over propane. All sanitary and sap is refrigerated and never keep more than a week.

My wife likes it but it’s not what I’m looking for. Also has a tangy nite too. 19450

Helicopter Seeds
02-16-2019, 08:12 PM
Aviboy, lots of factors affect the flavor, starting with the tree. I would bet that since you are boiling over propane, you probably are tapping a very limited selection of trees. Sugar maples, Silvers, reds, all make good syrup. Time of year matters, but if you are Always getting the same result, that would not matter.

Anyway, I got my first taps in this year. Will add more tomorrow if it warms enough, otherwise next week.

aviboy97
02-16-2019, 08:49 PM
Aviboy, lots of factors affect the flavor, starting with the tree. I would bet that since you are boiling over propane, you probably are tapping a very limited selection of trees. Sugar maples, Silvers, reds, all make good syrup. Time of year matters, but if you are Always getting the same result, that would not matter.

Anyway, I got my first taps in this year. Will add more tomorrow if it warms enough, otherwise next week.

I have 13 taps right now. All sugar maples. This is my third year making syrup. Taste has been consistent all three years, especially early on. My first few runs look like the photo I posted. Amber color. My yield gets darker as the season progresses.

I’m boiling again tomorrow. Hopefully I get some darker syrup. I like that better.

I didn’t know if this was common or not.

Mike Van
02-17-2019, 04:43 AM
I have 13 taps right now. All sugar maples. This is my third year making syrup. Taste has been consistent all three years, especially early on. My first few runs look like the photo I posted. Amber color. My yield gets darker as the season progresses.

I’m boiling again tomorrow. Hopefully I get some darker syrup. I like that better.

I didn’t know if this was common or not. You won't get dark syrup until the season progresses. It will turn medium as the days warm & the nights less cold. Really dark won't come until near the end, when the buds are almost out on the trees. Hang in there!

lafite
02-17-2019, 05:31 AM
That math doesn’t add up. Maybe 13 gallons and your yield was a qt??

It was the first boil of the season so I had to get the pans sweet. my float box was set too high with my 2x4 hybrid pan. I just started to draw after my pan was sweet when I ran out of sap. I have 7 gallons of very concentrated sap currently in my pan. If I were to batch finish I'm sure I could get just under 3 gallons of finished syrup. I had 40 gallons of 1.5% sugar the rest was 2%

MonasteryMaple
02-17-2019, 07:15 PM
Almost all tapped in North Guilford. Just one more mainline to go. Ran alright this weekend boiled almost 2700 gallons of sap.

Tobey802
02-17-2019, 07:45 PM
Almost all tapped in North Guilford. Just one more mainline to go. Ran alright this weekend boiled almost 2700 gallons of sap.

How many taps?

MonasteryMaple
02-17-2019, 08:29 PM
right now about 765

Person25
02-19-2019, 02:52 PM
Put in my first 25 taps (buckets) to test the waters Sunday afternoon in Middlefield/Durham. Waiting a bit longer for my trees in Somers to warm up before going all in. All southern facing taps were running even at freezing, collected 30 gallons Monday. Probably add a few more to catch the next run. Time to clean up the shack and get ready for the weekend fun of boiling. here we go again... Waiting on a new hydrometer and refractometer to come in the mail to see what is flowing this year for sugar...... hopefully its better than the sub 1%s of last year.

ltgferg
02-19-2019, 05:43 PM
This may sound like a silly question but what’s the best way to store syrup once it’s made?

Cjadamec
02-20-2019, 04:41 AM
This may sound like a silly question but what’s the best way to store syrup once it’s made?

The most common ways for your average backyard operation is either in glass canning jars, or in glass or plastic syrup bottles purchase from an online or local supplier.

If the syrup is finished and packed up hot (~180F) into clean containers with air tight lids it is safe to store and shelf stable. If it's not packed hot or it has not been thru a canning process you will need to store the syrup in the refrigerator.

Person25
02-21-2019, 01:56 PM

Agree with the answer given already. For me, an average backyarder, Quart Ball Jars are the best. Visit the 'bottling/ section of the forum for more how toos, theres plenty of info there.

Cjadamec
02-21-2019, 03:03 PM
Seems like the weather is in a very kind pattern these last couple weeks. It's the start of another great run. Just in time to boil on the weekend. I'm up to 4.5 gallons finished so far. Hoping to get another 2 by the end of this run.

CTfarm
02-21-2019, 03:11 PM
I just got in from checking all my 58 taps. All are running. Pan is already sweeten' so I'm hoping to finish some out this weekend too.

Kjsdime
02-21-2019, 05:23 PM
I'm a little disappointed with my flow. I have a total of 32 taps with buckets. Was expecting to come home today to a good flow day but if I'm lucky I've got 10 gallons in total. I have a buddy with 7 trees tapped and he gets way more than I do. Feel like I'm doing something wrong maybe not deep enough with the drill? 1.5" deep? Does it matter if they are silver, red or sugar? Most are siver with a few sugar mixed in. Any advice would be appreciated.

Person25
02-21-2019, 05:52 PM
I had poor flow today too, though all were flowing, 35 taps, all south facing that gave me 30 gals of sap on sunday, gave me 12 gallons today. (Trees in Middlefield/Durham) I was disappointed with that, I expected more, but the sun wasn't very strong today, Ive always found daily runs to be better (as long as the temp swings are right) on days where the tree trucks warm from solar heat. Were in for a good run by the looks of the next few days forecast… so I wouldn't worry yet. On the down side, I noticed one of my sugar maples has gone yellow already.

snoskier16
02-21-2019, 06:07 PM
I just keep telling myself that the trees are still coming out of a week-long freeze so today's poor showing shouldn't be something to dwell on! Heck, my vacuum system turned on, sap was collected, and now the RO is running so it was a good day!

Cjadamec
02-21-2019, 06:08 PM
I'm a little disappointed with my flow. I have a total of 32 taps with buckets. Was expecting to come home today to a good flow day but if I'm lucky I've got 10 gallons in total. I have a buddy with 7 trees tapped and he gets way more than I do. Feel like I'm doing something wrong maybe not deep enough with the drill? 1.5" deep? Does it matter if they are silver, red or sugar? Most are siver with a few sugar mixed in. Any advice would be appreciated.

1.5" is a good depth for your tap hole.

Reds and silvers can be very finiky on buckets. They have a tendency to not be the best producers. They perform much better on vacuum. Even a little bit of vacuum can make a big difference. My first year I did buckets with 25 taps . I think the most I got in 1 day was 10 gallons. My trees are mostly red. The same group of trees on 3/16 tubing with natural vacuum will give me 10 gallons on a slow day and 40 on a good day like today.

Kjsdime
02-21-2019, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. What is natural vacuum and should I switch my bucket lines to 3/16"?

Cjadamec
02-21-2019, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. What is natural vacuum and should I switch my bucket lines to 3/16"?

Natural vacuum refers to the vacuum that is created in 3/16 tubing by the sap falling down hill inside the tubing. If you have the right conditions for natural vacuum to work for you than it is worth it.

First off you need an elevation drop in your sugar bush. Ideally you need at least 30 feet of elevation change between the majority of your tress and your collection point. If your land is flat or only gently sloped this tubing isn't really worth it.

You also need to get at least 10-15 taps per run but ideally you would have 20-30 taps per run.

A run is one continuous line of tubing from the bottom of your hill to the upper most tree to be tapped along the way.

Tobey802
02-21-2019, 09:35 PM
I didn’t have a very good run today at all either. Hopefully tomorrow it runs a little better

Cjadamec
02-22-2019, 04:01 AM
Checked my collection barrels on my way into work this morning at 430am. Air temps were at or just below freezing most of the night but everything is still running. Got another 40 gallons since I emptied my barrels yesterday afternoon.

snoskier16
02-22-2019, 07:31 AM
My vacuum pump was on last night until about 9pm and has been off since then (thermostat controlled). I'm thinking that today will be a decent day, but up here at "elevation" we've been lacking the temperatures to really spark a good run since that warm few days two weeks ago.

I added a couple of wifi controlled switches to my transfer pump and RO so now I can remotely transfer sap from the collection tote up to the RO tank and then start the RO all while being at work! We are getting even more science fiction-y every day!

Sugar Bear
02-22-2019, 10:22 AM

After I test my syrup for density on a hydrometer calibrated in the great state of Vermont ( everything in Vermont is better just not the maple trees! ) I poor it into 1/2 gallon mason jars. I let it settle for at least 1 month. Then I can poor all the pure syrup off into a reheat to 185 pot for repacking into smaller bottles. After 1 month the sugar sand is all well settled in the bottom of the 1/2 gallon mason jars. It works very well for me and should for anybody else. If I could find 1 gallon mason jars I would use them.

Glass is the best way to store syrup in my opinion.

My stats this year off 34 taps on 5/16 tubing at two different locations.

Feb 3 boil of 32 gallons got .54 gallons of syrup so 1.65% sugar.

Feb 18 boil of 75 gallons go 1.685 gallons of syrup so 2.22% sugar

Sap has been slow on the flow, especially yesterday which seemed like it should have been ideal, but flow has been steady.

Person25
02-22-2019, 04:04 PM
Very good sap run today. Just came in from collecting my 35 buckets in Middlefield, 55 gallons of sap. Hydrometer says 2.25%, refractometer says closer to 2.75%. First boil bright and early tomorrow. Also time to check the home farm trees in Somers to see if their giving anything up yet.

lafite
02-22-2019, 04:35 PM
trees in Cheshire were just okay today. I was able to draw off 6 gallons today!! started the fire at 8:30am and finished an hour ago..

CTfarm
02-22-2019, 05:00 PM
Collected 55 gallons this morning. Boiled 60 this afternoon.

Agent914
02-23-2019, 06:34 AM
Smoke Stack Mmmmmaplin in Middlebury, CT 2019

19503 19504

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ri7TcukAJ8

Person25
02-23-2019, 09:44 AM
19505 ssssshhugarin in Somers.

Tobey802
02-23-2019, 02:10 PM
Collected 45 gallons today, will be boiling tomorrow

Cjadamec
02-24-2019, 09:27 AM
What a soggy Sunday morning. Sap has been running all weekend, another 90 gallons since Friday afternoon.

Putting a roof over the evaporator this year is paying off today.

Mike Van
02-24-2019, 05:15 PM
My best pickup of the season today, 170 gal, i'll be firing up early tomorrow - Hope the wind doesn't blow all my bucket covers off. Yesterdays batch was 2.5%

Kjsdime
02-24-2019, 06:56 PM
Slow start but between last 2 days I collected 40 gallons. Hoping for a late week run to boil as much as I can this weekend.

snoskier16
02-24-2019, 07:19 PM
It took all week, but I finally was able to fill my RO tank to the top tonight! Had a nice boil yesterday and finished up what is probably the cleanest-looking syrup we've ever made this afternoon!

Mike Van
02-25-2019, 03:24 PM
I had steam at 5 AM, was done at noon with 170 gal. Went back out & got another 45, lots of bucket covers off, 2 must have wracked back & forth so many times they pulled the taps out. We're done here for awhile I think, some cold weather on the horizon.

Cjadamec
02-25-2019, 05:27 PM
I agree it looks like a freezer here for the next 5 days at least. I got another 40 gallons of sap today that is going to have to wait until things warm up again.

The wind has brought on a chance for me to run my generator today. It has been 7 hours since the power went out and no telling when it's coming back on. The wind is still crazy so I'm guessing the crews are sitting it out till it dies down.

Helicopter Seeds
02-25-2019, 07:28 PM
Saturday was the First time I checked brix at each tree. I never had the refractometer, because if it was sweet, I would boil it anyway. Getting RO soon, so I will need it to ensure permeate is not wasting sugar. Anyway, the worst tree is about 2.5%, average in the barrel is 3% and two are over 4%. Mix of sugars, reds, and silvers. In one day, 73 taps produced about 100 gallons of that, Boiled two nights with late start this weekend to get ahead of it, almost glad it will freeze again, I have a way to go.

Person25
02-25-2019, 08:01 PM
Boiled my first run of the year Saturday, 85 gallons sap, 2.25%, 1.75 gal syrup, heavy niter in the pan. . Gathered 60 gallons sunday afternoon on 30 taps,they ran most of the night into Monday. I checked this morning around 8am, they were still running. I left my buckets half full as of 8am so they wouldnt blow away, if they ran today should be about 90 more gallons out there. That’ll be a lot of boiling for me this weekend, got me thinking about expanding tap count but not before adding an RO and investing in some tubing. I’ll have to check tomorrow to see if anything has gone with the wind. Also, I pulled two taps that had gone dark yellow on me Friday, back to clear Saturday, and yellow on Sunday. Sugar yesterday was down around/under 2%, but we should get a good recharge with this little freeze. Might just leave them hanging for this cold spell with a little weight in them, till about Friday when it looks like we might thaw out for the day.

snoskier16
02-26-2019, 08:22 AM
It appears as though the maple gods are not happy and we need a sacrifice...

Thankfully I got all of the sap out of my tote and run through the RO as this freeze would surely lock everything up.

On a positive note, it looks like I can get some other things done around the house this week...

Cjadamec
02-26-2019, 09:29 AM
If it really stays that cold for that long I might have time to rig up an AOF setup for my evaporator. Judging by the smoke coming out of the stack I have a good amount of unburned gasses.

CTfarm
02-26-2019, 01:48 PM
I'm boiling off the rest of my sap I collected and drawing off a couple of gallons before the cold spell. Last stick just went in the arch.

Sugar Bear
03-01-2019, 09:48 PM
Well here we are in CT on March 1st and my taps ( about 32 of my 40) are already a month old, while I have already made 4+ gallons of Vermont Calibrated maple syrup on them so far, I would wager anybody ( Doctor, Lawyer, Einstein, anybody that knows more then I do which is most people ) that the main spine of the season with the best sugar movement is still ahead of us even here in southern CT. As I said tapping early is overrated, From NC all the way up to the base of the shield. The closer to the shield you are the more overrated early taping is. Obviously if you have more then a few hundred taps you need to start well before things begin.

Hope you had a good time in Arizona to the guy who went the third week of February but wanted to tap before then. I hope you were not suckered into tapping early like I always am. February had three runs of sap here in southern CT and only the last one in late Feb was profuse and meant any business.

snoskier16
03-02-2019, 06:44 AM
Sugar Bear, I’m pretty sure that we all hope you are right! We tapped early to catch the week of warm temps, but since then have been really slow. With lots of new systems to test out, early was our way of making sure everything worked before the big runs hit. We have syrup that we otherwise wouldn’t have if we waited so I suppose the tap early or wait debate will continue for another year!

Person25
03-02-2019, 08:59 AM
Boiling today, about 60 gallons stock piled in the cooler since Sunday last. Tomorrow I’m going to run around and pull all my buckets in to warmer temps since they are all full but frozen solid. Will keep me busy at least while we wait for some warmer days.

Sugar Bear
03-02-2019, 08:35 PM
Sugar Bear, I’m pretty sure that we all hope you are right! We tapped early to catch the week of warm temps, but since then have been really slow. With lots of new systems to test out, early was our way of making sure everything worked before the big runs hit. We have syrup that we otherwise wouldn’t have if we waited so I suppose the tap early or wait debate will continue for another year!

I tap only Rocking Sugars, so I guess those that tap Reds face a different analysis when it comes to the when to tap decision. For certain. But this year I would have waited to February 15th rather then February 1 to tap my rocks. My first run put out 32 gallons of sap, my second put out 75 gallons of sap and my third put out 90 gallons of sap. Tapping Feb 15 would have caught run two and run three and would have left me two weeks younger on the taps.

While they do put out some good syrup, Reds do crazy and unpredictable things at almost any time of the year ( many of them not related to sap ). If i were taping reds I think I would be tapped by Jan 20th of almost any year.

O and by the way that first 32 gallons of sap only produced .54 gallons of syrup so it was about 1.65% sugar. The others were both around 2.25 percent sugar. Much better on the fire wood pile with regards to amount of syrup for the flitch. ( flitch is a legal tender word by the way ... not certain why this blog red lines it )

snoskier16
03-02-2019, 09:00 PM
O and by the way that first 32 gallons of sap only produced .54 gallons of syrup so it was about 1.65% sugar. The others were both around 2.25 percent sugar.

My first run was 250+ gallons of sap at 0.89% sugar so without the RO boiling that would have been a waste of time. Sugar has been going up with each "run", but we've yet to see anything of that volume since the first days that the taps were in. It was nice to see the vacuum pump turn on today and see some sap moving in the lines!

Mike Van
03-03-2019, 04:37 AM
I tap only Rocking Sugars, so I guess those that tap Reds face a different analysis when it comes . ( flitch is a legal tender word by the way ... not certain why this blog red lines it ) A flitch is also a slab of lumber with bark on both edges.

Sugar Bear
03-03-2019, 08:39 AM
A flitch is also a slab of lumber with bark on both edges.

A flitch has bark on one side and lumber ( usually only sap wood on the other ) It has only two sides ( one arched with bark over it and the other flat with exposed lumber)and no edges. I.E. It is the first cut off the edge of a log and I use all of my flitches as fuel for the evaporator. A slab of lumber with bark on both edges is a live edged piece of lumber and not a flitch. It would have to be the second or greater cut off the edge of a log and almost always has some useful purpose as a piece of lumber rather then fuel for a fire. Many of my second cuts went into the construction of my rag tag sugar shack that does manage to keep the rain/snow and falling hemlock needles out. Third cuts or more end up on something more substantial and refined.

Cjadamec
03-03-2019, 10:44 AM
For what it's worth today my trees ar running as strong as they ever have. Temp is 45 and sunny sky's at noon. Still managed 80 gallons of sap thru this past week. Would have been more but there was two deer chews I found and repaired today.

I'm looking forward to it being well below freezing this week because I'm off on Vacation and won't be able to tend to any runs.

Mike Van
03-03-2019, 12:14 PM
A flitch has bark on one side and lumber ( usually only sap wood on the other ) It has only two sides ( one arched with bark over it and the other flat with exposed lumber)and no edges. I.E. It is the first cut off the edge of a log and I use all of my flitches as fuel for the evaporator. A slab of lumber with bark on both edges is a live edged piece of lumber and not a flitch. It would have to be the second or greater cut off the edge of a log and almost always has some useful purpose as a piece of lumber rather then fuel for a fire. Many of my second cuts went into the construction of my rag tag sugar shack that does manage to keep the rain/snow and falling hemlock needles out. Third cuts or more end up on something more substantial and refined. Well, what you call a flitch has always been a slab here, the language varies I guess.

Mike Van
03-04-2019, 01:22 PM
I picked up a hundred gal. yesterday, boiled off this AM, going back out now to dump again. The rest of the week off from the look of it.

Person25
03-04-2019, 06:48 PM
Gathered anywhere from 2gal to 3 gal (overflowing) from each bucket today. Was still running an a few hours ago when I came in. Should have a little bit of chunky sap to collect in the morning. Then off until Friday by the looks of it.

snoskier16
03-06-2019, 10:06 AM
I'm still keeping my fingers and toes crossed that the forecast come to fruition, but it looks like we are going to need our snorkels in the next couple of days!

Is everyone ready to go for what looks to be the run of the season?

Cjadamec
03-11-2019, 11:01 AM
Came back from vacation to find 110 gallons of crystal clear sweet tasting sap waiting for me in my barrles. Trees are running hard today gonna loose some sleep this week to boiling.

Finally got my hauler working to boot, and what a nice day to try it out.

Person25
03-16-2019, 12:16 PM
Boiling this weeks run off today. Anyone else wrapping up the season this weekend? I’ve never gone much further into march than this. Sap is getting cloudy, yellow and sub 2% anyways. What everyone else thinkn’?

Mike Van
03-17-2019, 04:14 AM
I had 5 trees [out of 150] stop, I put the buckets [with clean taps] on 5 new trees - I'm going to go another week at least. That dark yellow sap, just dump it, many times the next run will be o.k. again. That 70 degree day and 3 nights with no frost probably hurt all of us.

Woodsrover
03-17-2019, 07:04 PM
I'm going to try and go one more week and call it a season. Weather looks fairly good until Saturday.

Going to make less than half of what I made last year. Oh well, that's farming!

markgm
03-18-2019, 06:46 AM
I think Sunday or Monday will be the end for me, depending on what the late week temps go. I seem to usually stop on March 21st, so this is right on schedule.

sr73087
03-18-2019, 08:30 AM
I noticed this morning on one of the reds close to the house the buds are already swelling. All of a sudden, I didn't notice these just a few days ago.

DrTimPerkins
03-18-2019, 09:29 AM
The first buds to break on red maples are flower buds. They do not cause buddy off-flavor.

sr73087
03-19-2019, 06:33 AM
So which buds on the reds mean buddy sap is here?

DrTimPerkins
03-19-2019, 08:03 AM
Leaf buds.

Sugar Bear
03-19-2019, 08:07 PM
Great temperatures this year. Amazing. Last two days have been magical even though no snow left on the ground.

I taped about 34 sugar maples on or about Feb 3, on about Feb 15 I tapped about 6 more. The past two days have shown some of my best flow of the season in my runs. Every single tap is still running. Boiled yesterday and today and am still boiling my sixth run of the season. i have made close to 10 gallons of syrup, all of it Red Lined on the hydrometer. I have boiled over 400 gallons of sap on three steam pans and am getting pretty tired of it. It would not be so tiring if I had more dry firewood, but I am about to cut into my wood stove supply of Black Locust and White Oak. Burned a standing dead dogwood and it put out some great heat, burned clean too. Some dead trees seem to hold no moisture on the stump ( dogwood is one of them ) and some will. Very interesting. Nothing like a clear stack and lots of steam.

Spilled about 2 ounces of syrup today as my upside down mason jar top was over tightened and leaked for some seconds.

Reluctant to put any sap in the ground. To date my sap loss is less then 1 gallon.

Lots of lighter colored syrup this year. Most of it in the second half.

Mike Van
03-20-2019, 06:15 PM
I'm going to try and go one more week and call it a season. Weather looks fairly good until Saturday.

Going to make less than half of what I made last year. Oh well, that's farming! I wonder why the low yield? We're about 6 miles apart, I just went past last year yesterday, and should be all time year tomorrow. Some of my trees are running better now than a month ago, go figure - Weather is showing frost / freeze again for Fri or Sat, maybe both, then again Tue / Wed next week. I'll stay till the last drop falls -

Tobey802
03-20-2019, 07:06 PM
I had my best run all year today! I wasn’t feeling the best yesterday now it’s timw to play catch up going to be a late one tonight. I have a total of 13 gallons on the year

Sugar Bear
03-21-2019, 12:28 PM
Went to bed at 3:30 this AM and woke up at 6:30 AM for more punishment for drilling holes in trees.

Woodsrover
03-22-2019, 05:21 AM
I wonder why the low yield? We're about 6 miles apart, I just went past last year yesterday, and should be all time year tomorrow. Some of my trees are running better now than a month ago, go figure - Weather is showing frost / freeze again for Fri or Sat, maybe both, then again Tue / Wed next week. I'll stay till the last drop falls -

Well I say that and then pumped 600 gallons into the milk tank last night. Not the best looking sap...a little cloudy...but its flowing pretty good right now. All of a sudden next week looks good too, at least the first part of it.

Tobey802
03-23-2019, 07:19 PM
Unfortunately I think I’m done for the year. Had a nasty sickness go through the house finally checked today and all my sap was spoiled, was sitting since Wednesday. 200 gallons down the drain. Sometimes you have to take the bad with the good total of 13 gallons on the seasons

Woodsrover
03-24-2019, 04:28 PM
Well I say that and then pumped 600 gallons into the milk tank last night. Not the best looking sap...a little cloudy...but its flowing pretty good right now. All of a sudden next week looks good too, at least the first part of it.

Boiled another 300 gallons today. VERY dark compared to even just yesterday. Trees starting to bud (here in Cornwall anyway) and I pulled the last few gallons of syrup off the evaporator and am finishing it on the stove as I type. Done for the year.

Sugar Bear
03-26-2019, 11:37 AM
Boiled another 300 gallons today. VERY dark compared to even just yesterday. Trees starting to bud (here in Cornwall anyway) and I pulled the last few gallons of syrup off the evaporator and am finishing it on the stove as I type. Done for the year.

Do you tap Reds or Sugars?

Woodsrover
03-27-2019, 05:28 AM
Do you tap Reds or Sugars?

All sugars.

CTSap4Maple
03-28-2019, 07:44 AM
Anyone in CT still running? Looks like today will be some and maybe Mon-Wed next week?

hodorskib
03-28-2019, 10:59 AM
Still going in Watertown. My trees are located in a very cold area so usually 2 weeks behind everyone else.

Mike Van
03-29-2019, 04:47 AM
I picked up 35 gal sap yesterday, i'm 75 away from 2000 gal - trying to reach that number

Sugar Bear
03-30-2019, 07:56 AM
tapped Feb 1 and pulled taps yesterday but sap was still flowing slowly on most taps whether a CV tap or regular tap.

40 taps
508 gallons sap boiled about 3 gallons discarded.
over 11 gallons of syrup made
drop lines into individual buckets more productive then tubing as usual. Got about 18 gallons per tap on my 8 individual buckets.