PDA

View Full Version : Using Zap Bac spouts

heus
01-01-2019, 08:30 AM
I am going to use the green zap bac spouts this year in place of the CV2's. I will be using the spouts without the stubbies. When using these for 2 or 3 years, do they need to be removed from the dropline at the end of the season or can I leave them on? Unfortunately I doubt that they will plug into my Leader tees.

spud
01-01-2019, 08:37 AM
Please keep production numbers for the next 3 years. Are you starting with new tubing? new drops? Thanks

Spud

DrTimPerkins
01-01-2019, 09:44 AM
There has been some research done on them, but not nearly enough yet to have a full understanding. We did some work early on (experimenting with our own prototypes before a company introduced them as a commercial product). The cost was quite high early on, but has come down quite a bit since, making them more competitive.

They can increase sap yield, and on average they seem to fall in-between using a new spout and using a new drop. Probably in around the range of the CV for the first year, with performance dropping off from there over time (from one season to the next). The advantage is that they don't have to be replaced each year so the cost is a bit lower when amortized out over a few years. Disadvantage is that the performance also drops over that time.

Biggest caveat, and the reason we've not done more with them, and a factor which isn't advertised well in my opinion, is that they are NOT allowed in certified organic production (which we are). It is not because of the silver itself, but due to the "nano" ceramic carrier. Additionally, I've not seen any studies showing where the silver ends up...whether in the sugar sand or in the syrup.

heus
01-01-2019, 12:26 PM
Please keep production numbers for the next 3 years. Are you starting with new tubing? new drops? Thanks

Spud

I will be using them both with new drops and 3-5 year old drops.

maple flats
01-01-2019, 01:03 PM
I've used up all other taps and the only ones I'm buying this year are the Zap Bac. I so far only used about 120 last year, the rest were all CV2. When putting up new or fixing old laterals I use multi compartment parts boxes. I have no bags of other taps, but do still have a few CV2 in a couple of those parts boxes. I have a box set up for each of 3 crews.
I have only used the Zap Bac on new drops, both last year and this. I will then use a drop for 3 years and then replace it with new. I will be using about 6-700 Zap Bac this year, and up to 150 maybe 200 CV2 and 100 clear disposable spouts I got a few years ago and only just used them this year.

spud
01-01-2019, 03:24 PM
I will be using them both with new drops and 3-5 year old drops.

Is there a way of you charting GPT from new drops verses 3-5 year old drops?

Spud