PDA

View Full Version : A little advice of steam hood

gmack
12-30-2018, 12:27 PM
Looking for a little advice
I have a new 2x 8 cdl airtight arch with a hood . I have hung it 16 inches over the pan. Had a test boil today and it seems to spill a lot of steam . The steam pipe is 3 1/2 over the peak of my roof . Do I need to lower my hood and add a section of pipe ?

Thank you

Crooked Cellars Farm
12-30-2018, 02:19 PM
I had a very similar issue last year with my steam hood, to the point you couldn't see 5' in front of you and I couldn't run my blower. I would suggest lowering your hood as low as you can and extend your pipe even more. I updated my hood and pan set this year and have my hood resting on my flue pan now and I don't have the steam issue I had last year. You also may want to look into some sort of side skirts for your hood to keep your steam from rolling out. I think I read on here somewhere that said steam is somewhat stupid and will take the path of least resistance. If it only has 1 option to go out your steam hood then it will. But if it can roll out from under it, it will do that too. Hope that helps a bit.

gmack
12-30-2018, 03:03 PM
I had a very similar issue last year with my steam hood, to the point you couldn't see 5' in front of you and I couldn't run my blower. I would suggest lowering your hood as low as you can and extend your pipe even more. I updated my hood and pan set this year and have my hood resting on my flue pan now and I don't have the steam issue I had last year. You also may want to look into some sort of side skirts for your hood to keep your steam from rolling out. I think I read on here somewhere that said steam is somewhat stupid and will take the path of least resistance. If it only has 1 option to go out your steam hood then it will. But if it can roll out from under it, it will do that too. Hope that helps a bit.

Thank you

I have lowered it 4 inches and I will order more pipe on Monday .

Thanks again

maple flats
12-30-2018, 06:38 PM
I have never had a hood suspended above the flues pan, on my flues pan the hood rests on the pan. For the syrup pan I have mine suspended about 14" above. Both the 3x5 flues hood and the 3x3 syrup hood have a 15" steam stack. All of the flues steam goes up the stack and likely about 90-95% of the steam off the syrup pan goes up the stack. The rest still goes up into and out the cupola doors.

Sugarmaker
12-30-2018, 07:52 PM
Looking for a little advice
I have a new 2x 8 cdl airtight arch with a hood . I have hung it 16 inches over the pan. Had a test boil today and it seems to spill a lot of steam . The steam pipe is 3 1/2 over the peak of my roof . Do I need to lower my hood and add a section of pipe ?

Thank you

Lower will be better! The air rushing in needs to get heated (quickly) to draw up the stack. Anything you can do to reduce cold air going in will reduce the amount of steam you have in the room. The steam in the back on the left is from the hot water coming off the steamaway.
Here is a picture of my hoods and rig. we are boiling at around 120-130 gph in this picture.
https://i.imgur.com/izZZiUJ.jpg
Regards,
Chris

Crooked Cellars Farm
12-30-2018, 08:42 PM
I would definitely agree on the lower the better. I'm not sure dropping it only 4" will help too much. When I had a similar 1 piece hood like that last year I had it down to about 10" above my 2x6 Smoky Lake Hybrid Pro. Unfortunately I did not have a float box or head tank so I was hand feeding a preheater tank sitting on top of my pans so I couldn't go any lower with my hood and the steam would just billow out. Unfortunately your hood needs to be almost all the way down over your pan but you won't be able to see what is going on in your pan. I wish I would have known that last year before i nearly destroyed my roof in my brand new shack. We were fortunate and/or willing to trade in this hood and pan set and pay a discounted price for their 2x6 high output drop flue pans with concentric exhaust system. Now my hoods, 1 on flue pan and 1 suspended over syrup pan, collects approx 95% or more of the steam coming off the evap. I've run 2 test boils on this set up. You may want to look into side skirts you can attach to your hood or contact dealer/manufacturer to see if they might be willing to help you out with a solution. You look to have a really nice setup in your picture and I'm willing to bet you won't be happy sitting their in a rainsuit boiling this year, like I did last year. Haha

Sugarmaker
12-31-2018, 09:07 AM
I finally went back, turned my computer side ways and marveled at the work and dollars you have put into this system. Every detail looks to be very well thought out! Other than this pecsky steam thing. If you wanted the old room filled with steam feeling then it is perfect. Yes the rear pan needs a complete hood touching the pan. That is producing the most steam and needs addressed first. I think I would contact CDL and see what they may have as solutions. Also how much steam is acceptable to you in the room? When I built mine I wanted folks to be able to come in, not fog their glasses, not get rained on, and be able to see each other during boiling. The front pan may need some type of steam control too. I have a design that has been prototyped and works pretty well for the front hood so you can see in the pan too.
Again very nice sugarhouse you have! You can be proud!
Just a suggestion. Make sure your plastic pipes near the arch and stack wont get over heated and have a melt down. A Harbor Freight hand held temp indicator works good to spot check.
Regards,
Chris

gmack
01-01-2019, 06:25 PM
I finally went back, turned my computer side ways and marveled at the work and dollars you have put into this system. Every detail looks to be very well thought out! Other than this pecsky steam thing. If you wanted the old room filled with steam feeling then it is perfect. Yes the rear pan needs a complete hood touching the pan. That is producing the most steam and needs addressed first. I think I would contact CDL and see what they may have as solutions. Also how much steam is acceptable to you in the room? When I built mine I wanted folks to be able to come in, not fog their glasses, not get rained on, and be able to see each other during boiling. The front pan may need some type of steam control too. I have a design that has been prototyped and works pretty well for the front hood so you can see in the pan too.
Again very nice sugarhouse you have! You can be proud!
Just a suggestion. Make sure your plastic pipes near the arch and stack wont get over heated and have a melt down. A Harbor Freight hand held temp indicator works good to spot check.
Regards,
Chris

Thank you Chris .

Do you think a 8 inch duct from outside to the hood so it pulls outside air like a furance would help ?

Thanks again

Sugarmaker
01-01-2019, 09:06 PM
gmack,
I am more of a i see that it works kind of guy and may not know all the engineering aspects of why something works. but my theory is that you need the hood/s on or very close to get these to draw most of the steam out. I dont think outside air is going to work, but I have never tried that. To me the hot steam is what heats the inside of the hood and the steam is drawn up. Not sure I helped you much? If you want to talk more you can PM me too.
Regards,
Chris