PDA

View Full Version : Shurflo using electric?

steve J
12-30-2018, 09:31 AM
I have read a lot of threads of using shurflo pumps. I still have about 50 trees on buckets in flat area behind sugar house. And as I am getting older the buckets are getting to be more of a pain in the keister. But as I read these postings I see where most are using a 12 volt battery set up. I have bad knees and both need to be replaced so I cant imagine having to lug a battery thru the snow in order to recharge it and than having to lug it back.

So my question is anyone having success using electric with a shurflo pump or a similar pump? I loved to put 20 trees on a line and try this.

to100
12-30-2018, 01:05 PM
What do you use to haul sap back to shed? Dc volt pump out

gmack
12-30-2018, 03:06 PM
I have read a lot of threads of using shurflo pumps. I still have about 50 trees on buckets in flat area behind sugar house. And as I am getting older the buckets are getting to be more of a pain in the keister. But as I read these postings I see where most are using a 12 volt battery set up. I have bad knees and both need to be replaced so I cant imagine having to lug a battery thru the snow in order to recharge it and than having to lug it back.

So my question is anyone having success using electric with a shurflo pump or a similar pump? I loved to put 20 trees on a line and try this.

Sure you can . It will work . I have several hundred trees on a surflo . You will need to put a circulating line on it to get the best vacuum .

TreeTapper2
12-30-2018, 04:42 PM
If you can get an electric cord to it it will work. If you have a 12 volt pump then get a computer power supply to convert 120v to 12v. Depending on how far you are running your cord you may want a bigger gauge wire.

Biz
12-30-2018, 08:59 PM
You might want to look at using a 12 volt Shurflo with battery and charger always connected up. Battery can be something from an unused vehicle or equipment. This gives protection against short term power outages, and the 12V pump is cheaper thn the AC pump, if you already have a battery and charger that you can use.

If you are going to the Brattleboro Maple conference on Jan 19th, I will have a talk on diaphragm pumps including power source options, stop in and say hi.

Dave

RileySugarbush
12-31-2018, 09:56 AM
I find the brushes in 12v pumps last longer than the 120vac ones. I use a battery charger to get the 12V dc and keep an old ( nearly useless) car battery in the circuit to smooth the noisy voltage out of the charger.

maplestudent
01-14-2019, 02:31 PM
I have used a 12v shurflo for 3 years with no problems (well, problems from the pump that is). I run a 100ft extension cord from my garage to a plywood box that contains the pump. I power the pump using a 12v power adapter (thank you comcast.) I also have an incandescent bulb in the box which I plug in when it will be below freezing, which heats it just enough to keep the pump from freezing.

Waynehere
01-14-2019, 02:58 PM
This was my thoughts exactly to use AC over DC. But my first season, the AC pump didn't last the season before the brushes burned up. They are only designed to last up to 1000 hrs. Where as the DC brushes last 5000 hrs. So that was a no brainer to switch to DC.

Good luck.

bstewar
01-15-2019, 11:20 AM
If you are going to the Brattleboro Maple conference on Jan 19th, I will have a talk on diaphragm pumps including power source options, stop in and say hi.

Dave

I'll see you there Dave. Looking forward to your presentation.

bstewar
01-15-2019, 11:21 AM
If you can get an electric cord to it it will work. If you have a 12 volt pump then get a computer power supply to convert 120v to 12v. Depending on how far you are running your cord you may want a bigger gauge wire.
This is how I set up my Shruflo. Also added a temp controller for shut down/start ups. One season behind me and happy so far.