PDA

View Full Version : tapping 2019

USMCLtcol
12-26-2018, 08:36 PM
So when is everyone going to start tapping trees?

maple flats
12-27-2018, 07:19 AM
I will judge by the weather. Today we will be doing repairs and making improvements in the bush. On Saturday I have a crew coming to help make repairs and change drops. It will be at least 2-3 weeks before I'm ready to tap. On Jan 4-5 I will be at the NYS Maple Conference in Syracuse, NY.
In Va you will need to tap earlier than we do in central NY.
Sometimes you will finish collecting before we have our first good sap flow.

USMCLtcol
12-27-2018, 07:48 AM
Last year I tapped January 15th. Temps after Jan 3rd are looking good here and I may tap the weekend of the 5th.

fred
12-29-2018, 05:27 PM
mid February. regardless of weather. I don't play on the emotions of a run here and there. many in ohio have tapped early the past few years only to end with lower production or the trees just shut off completely. I do nearly 1/2 gallon syrup per tap each year by sticking to the basics

USMCLtcol
01-10-2019, 07:57 PM
80 % of taps in and ready for the coming weeks of prime weather. 65 taps so far and hope to get the rest in before the snow arrives this weekend. Eager to try my RO bucket and new preheater pan to reduce cooking time. Looking forward to a great season in central VA..

sugarbug
01-13-2019, 06:20 PM
The weather man needs to be a little more accurate, they were calling for 22 on the 2 nd of January so I'm tapped already. wanted to drip a little yesterday, but looks better for the end of the month.

Housewright
01-14-2019, 06:15 AM
Started tapping 12/28. Pretty good run through 1/1. Looks like things will thaw again toward the end of this week.
Just finished running the last of the new 3/16" lines.

sugarbug
02-16-2019, 01:43 PM
How's your season so far.

Tater
02-17-2019, 09:07 PM
I tapped Feb 8, but didn't have enough sap to gather til the 14th. Got 240 gal of sap from 94 taps on the 14th-16th. I like to tap about the first of February, but temps here in the Shenandoah Valley haven't wanted to give a consistent freeze/thaw cycle. This week is looking better. :)

esetter
02-19-2019, 07:56 AM
I believe she's about over down here. Sounds like your doing good Tater. Been too warm on us.

Tater
02-20-2019, 08:16 PM
Not surprised that those further south are getting too warm. Been marginal here.

Gathered 175 gal of sap yesterday and took the day off work today and boiled it down to 4.5 gallons of syrup (we got 4" of snow and nearly 3/4" of sleet today, so staying home seemed like a good idea). Might get one more decent run tomorrow, and then it isn't forecast to be below freezing til Monday night. Forecast says next week could be good, but even if it gets warm and stays warm, I'm not far off my totals for the past couple years.

esetter
02-21-2019, 07:05 AM
Yea , I might have pulled my taps a little early but it was really slowing down . Probably should have stuck with it another day or two but I was headed out of town and it was getting up into the 60's. No freezing weather in sight.

ffcuz
02-21-2019, 09:49 PM
Live in the Shenandoah Valley but we tap in SW Virginia just do it for family fun. Finished tapping Monday got 1000 gallons today and with current run can probably pick up another 1000 overnight. Good thing warm weekend give us a chance to rest because looks like next week is going to be awesome. Sap very clear better go start scrounging fire wood.

esetter
02-22-2019, 06:44 AM
Wow , you have done well!. I used to live in the Bristol area. That was before I got into tapping maples. Where bouts in SWVA?
Live in the Shenandoah Valley but we tap in SW Virginia just do it for family fun. Finished tapping Monday got 1000 gallons today and with current run can probably pick up another 1000 overnight. Good thing warm weekend give us a chance to rest because looks like next week is going to be awesome. Sap very clear better go start scrounging fire wood.

ffcuz
02-24-2019, 07:27 AM
Bland County my Mom is from there still have a good bit of family there and my grandparents place. We access to alot of sugar maples which lets us start later. If we were doing it at home would be way to late. Warm weather shut it down yesterday but more freezes coming should fir back up Monday or Tuesday. Sap crystal clear boiled off around 1800 gallons and haven't had to skim yet. Rained there last 48 hours though trees may sink in the mud.

esetter
02-24-2019, 04:34 PM
Very cool! I have been to bland! Thats awesome. 60 here today and no flow. May get some later next week with temps in the mid 20's at night. If I can find some trees that aren't budded out yet , Im gonna tap them. Came up short on what I really wanted for sap this year. Has been a total downpour this week so I know what you mean.

Tater
03-31-2019, 04:47 PM
Pulled taps 2 days ago. Never expected season to last this long! :) Made 25 gallons of syrup from 94 taps (would have been 2-3 gallons more, but sweet in pan got ropey once toward end of season). Had 1530 gallons of sap, so about 55:1 this year (first year that I really tracked it). Seems lower than other years, but it's my best year in total production, so that's a win. :)