PDA

View Full Version : Home built arch

red/one
12-18-2018, 06:41 PM
I don't post much. Mostly follow December thru May. This is my new home built arch I made. It measures 26wx36hx83L. I used to boil on a OTE and never got above 10gph. Hopefully I will do better with this one. I still have the flat divided pans, 2'x33" and 2'x3'. Just need to insulate, brick, and install the stack. 19036190371903819039

maple flats
12-18-2018, 06:52 PM
Looks good. I suggest you use rigid ceramic insulation and fire brick for best results. With that design you will be able to change the pans and make it a riased flue evaporator if you grow bigger. Possibly a drop flue but the rear section looks a little shallow to have room for drop flues.
FYI, raised is generally a little faster evaporating.

red/one
12-20-2018, 08:03 AM
Thanks maple flats. I actually bought 1" blanket and I have full bricks and some half bricks. I will line the fire box and all sides with full and put the half bricks on the ramp after I insulate of course. My idea eventually will be to buy a raised flue pan. All in time!

Gini@AngelBearFarm
12-28-2018, 04:40 PM
Looks great, red/one! Thanks for sharing with pictures.

red/one
12-29-2018, 07:26 AM
Headed for the home stretch. Insulated, bricked, base stack on. Just need to buy some stack and finish some plumbing. Test boil soon.

red/one
01-29-2019, 10:48 AM
Fired up the new arch this weekend with some water in it. All went well. Some changes I need to make. The slope behind the firebox has to be raised up. I was boiling in the back of my front pan and front of my back pan. With my ash door opened slightly my fire was pushing back towards the rear of the arch quite a bit. easy fix. Also had to stuff some blanket in the front corners. I could touch the entire arch with the exception of the stack area. I think its insulated well. Just a few more weeks here and I will be tapped.
Good luck to all!