PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum line size.

Ultimatetreehugger
12-18-2018, 02:07 PM
Need to run a vacuum line to a hobby releaser less than 1000 feet away with three hundred taps on it. With a 22 cfm pump is a one inch line adequate? Thanks

maple flats
12-18-2018, 07:01 PM
I'd need to refer to the Maple Tubing Notebook, but I think it should be 1.5", maybe even 2". While a 22 CFM pump is plenty big enough for 300 taps, I don't think you will get anywhere near those 22 CFM at the releaser 1000' away, but you would likely get at least 6 CFM (my guess) which is enough for 300 taps. If you grow in taps you may not have much buffer.
If I remember to check in my tubing notebook tomorrow, I'll give you better info, at this point I'm just guessing.

Russell Lampron
12-18-2018, 07:15 PM
You want the vacuum line to be at least as big as the inlet to the releaser. If the releaser has a 1.25" connection for the vacuum line you want to use 1.25" or larger vacuum line. A larger line will give you a faster recovery time when the releaser dumps.

unc23win
12-18-2018, 09:30 PM
1" line can only produce 4cfm at 1000'. You could either use bigger line or run 2 1" into a pvc pipe manifold the size of your releaser input.

JoeJ
12-19-2018, 03:59 PM
According to the New York State Maple Tubing and Vacuum System Notebook a 15 cfm pump will deliver 7 cfm at 1,000'. 300 taps should be OK

Joe

VT_K9
12-19-2018, 08:17 PM
I am not sure that you could go too big without going outrageously expensive. We have one run of 1.5" for 750' and another to be installed this year which is 1200 long and will be using 1.5" as well. We have a section of 4" schedule 40 PVC at the vacuum and another at each releaser to aid in recovery during dumps. I think in your case 1.5" would be good with a larger section of PVC at either end to help with recovery.

Mike

JoeJ
12-20-2018, 06:24 AM
In my opinion, there is no need to oversize the vacuum line to go 1,000' for 300 taps, which requires 3 cfm.(unless he wants to unnecessarily spend extra money or is going to add a lot more taps) However, I also see nothing wrong with oversizing the line if he wants. According to the charts, 1 1/4 pipe will give 10 cfm's and 1 1/2 pipe will give 13 cfm's, 3 and 4 times what is necessary There is only 300 taps so the 1" pipe will give twice the recommended cfm's for that number of taps. The New York State Vacuum book was scientifically produced and is an unequaled source for maple vacuum information

Joe

spud
12-20-2018, 11:00 AM
There is a little more to it though. The original question is asking if a one inch pipe would be big enough for a ( Vacuum Line ) going to a releaser less then 1000 feet away. Lets say the real distance is 950 feet. The CFMs to the releaser would be around 4. There is no mention of how many main lines are exiting the releaser into the woods or how long they are. If it was me I would go 1 1/2 inch vacuum line to releaser. When your releaser dumps you loose vacuum and CFMs. Having more then enough CFMs in the releaser can only help when the releaser dumps.

I must say though that JoeJ is a master at GPT. Every year when I read his production numbers I feel like a red headed step child being slapped. :)

Spud

DrTimPerkins
12-20-2018, 12:33 PM
Having the extra capacity will assist in leak checking and at season start-up where there are some leaks throughout the woods. If you're right on the edge of CFM requirement, your whole system will suffer a good bit with even a fairly modest leak. Once you get all the leaks under control though, the CFM requirement can be fairly minimal if you're diligent at leak checking/fixing since the actual CO2 production rate from trees is on the order of about 0.5 CFM per 100 taps on a warm day. The 1 CFM per 100 trees is thus about twice what is needed on a really tight system.

Ultimatetreehugger
12-20-2018, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the help guys. It ended up being just about 600 feet long so I went with the one inch.