PDA

View Full Version : 3D Printed 3/16" Tension Hooks

snoskier16
12-13-2018, 02:48 PM
While struggling to setup 3/16" lines by myself I found that it was extremely challenging to get the lines taught all the way from beginning to end. Enter Google and I found commercial tension hooks that are typically made of metal. Using photos, I designed and 3D printed a couple of sets to try and I've been thrilled at how strong they are as well as how much easier it has made setting up the lines!

The hooks are printed from ABS and PETG plastics that are extremely strong and with the ease of customization, I can easily make sets for 5/16" as well!

I've used my 3D designs and printing on other aspects of my maple hobby and figured that this one was good enough to share!

regor0
12-13-2018, 03:51 PM
How long is the printing process for one?
Which printer do you have, i have been looking for one for my daughter?

snoskier16
12-13-2018, 07:08 PM
The time to print a set of two hooks takes about 1/2 an hour. I probably spent 15 minutes on the design and can tweak as I see fit so the process is pretty quick.

I currently have two 3D printers, a Prusa i3 MK3 and a Monoprice Maker Ultimate (that I'm looking to sell...)

The technology is really progressing and being able to print that specific part that you need right now sure beats having to wait for the delivery guy or going out to the store!

maple flats
12-13-2018, 07:42 PM
Those look great. I use 3 sets, one of aluminum with 3 sets of hooks I hook one end and the middle one, then a simple pull and it acts like a pulley and I clip it to the lateral. hold it. Then cut the line, add the drop or make the repair and remove it. That one has both 3/16 and 5/16 slots. The other 2 sets are of wood and they are one for 3/16, the other for 5/16. Each of those only have 2 clips, so I put one on, pull some slack where I need to work and clip the second. I have different colored lanyards on those to make identifying which size faster.

snoskier16, try having both size slots on each block if you work in both sizes. Having the third clip is handy but unnecessary.

snoskier16
12-14-2018, 02:14 PM
...try having both size slots on each block if you work in both sizes. Having the third clip is handy but unnecessary.

I'm only running 3/16" so for my use the single slot hooks work perfectly, but if others were interested in a set with 5/16" and 3/16" then I could do that without any issues!

82cabby
01-14-2019, 08:19 PM
Any chance you would be willing to post a drawing with dimensions ?