PDA

View Full Version : New Stainless Barrels

halladaymaple
12-12-2018, 09:32 AM
Hi:

I have purchased some new stainless barrels from Lapierre. What is the best way or maybe most common way to clean them ?

Thanks in advance
DArrell

maple flats
12-12-2018, 12:57 PM
I have a platform that my head tank sets on just outside the sugarhouse. I open the bung and set the barrel open bung down on the platform and off the edge just enough to expose the open bung. Then I pump permeate (when I have it and city water the rest of the time) into the bung using a hose/spray nozzle for about 6-8 minutes. Then I let it drain. Once drained I do a visual and a sniff test, if something is stuck on the bottom I have a long handled bottle type brush, I scrub it and repeat the "rinse". It there is any odor I run the rinse again too. When finished, I slightly tilt the empty barrel towards the open bung and using a clean paper towel I wipe it dry around the bung with that area the lowest spot. Then I stand the barrel and very loosely screw the plug in and I set it in the sun to dry inside. Then I tighten the bung just by hand and set it in my storage area.
Then before use I again do the same rinse, drain and then fill it with syrup.