PDA

View Full Version : Tinning a arch

calvertbrothers
12-12-2018, 08:50 AM
My evaporator needs to be retinned and I’m thinking of doing it with stainless steel. What gauge stainless should I be using and how many firebricks should I buy for a 2x6 I didn’t count when I was tearing it apart

raptorfan85
12-13-2018, 06:10 AM
I used 16ga steel when i built mine and I wouldnt go any thinner if I was doing it again. On bascoms website it says a leader 2x6 WSE takes 98 half bricks and 14 full.

maple flats
12-13-2018, 07:25 AM
I doubt the factory built arches have any thing heavier than 20 ga. I may be wrong, that's just my guess. As far as bricking I doubt you need all new bricks. Re-use what can be salvaged and then buy the rest. A majority of the old bricks should be good to use.

calvertbrothers
12-13-2018, 03:54 PM
Thanks on the information!

HondoLane
12-13-2018, 05:15 PM
Im building my 2x4 arch now.. Going to go with 20ga mill finish stainless and put a mirror finish on it... I can get my sides out of a 4x4 sheet cut on my plasma table. I priced mirror finish from the mill! BIG $$$$$.

calvertbrothers
12-13-2018, 07:03 PM
Im building my 2x4 arch now.. Going to go with 20ga mill finish stainless and put a mirror finish on it... I can get my sides out of a 4x4 sheet cut on my plasma table. I priced mirror finish from the mill! BIG $$$$$.

If you don’t mine me asking what did a 4x4 mill finish sheet run you? I’m thinking I’m going to need 2 of the 4’x8’ sheets but I think where I’m going to buy purchase it will be by pound.

n8hutch
12-13-2018, 08:16 PM
I'm not sure if you already considered this but your going to want to insulate your arch , especially if you are using stainless steel, the heat will ruin your finish in no time if you dont insulate it, I think that I like the arch board better, but I have both in my rig . Maybe you already considered this, if so my apologies.

calvertbrothers
12-13-2018, 08:48 PM
I'm not sure if you already considered this but your going to want to insulate your arch , especially if you are using stainless steel, the heat will ruin your finish in no time if you dont insulate it, I think that I like the arch board better, but I have both in my rig . Maybe you already considered this, if so my apologies.

Yes I was thinking arch board the hole arch half bricks on the firebox and the back of the arch using sand so it cools faster when I’m done boiling.

HondoLane
12-13-2018, 09:28 PM
If you don’t mine me asking what did a 4x4 mill finish sheet run you? I’m thinking I’m going to need 2 of the 4’x8’ sheets but I think where I’m going to buy purchase it will be by pound.

Local steel supply sells at retail prices for $90 (4x4 sheet). Now.. I used to live on the PA/NY Line by Elmira. In Binghamton there was a place called Pacemaker Steel. They sell WHOLESALE, even to small guys like us. I could get a 4x8 sheet for roughly that price. Now I just searched and it looks like there is a Pacemaker Steel east of Rochester close to you. Id give them a call.

HondoLane
12-13-2018, 09:30 PM

Yup.. good advice. I modeled my arch off the SL Corsair. I went with 1" ceramic blanket 8# rated for 2300 degrees.

maple flats
12-14-2018, 07:15 AM
I've bought from a Pacemaker in Utica, NY a few times. They have a great inventory. To transport it plan on having 2 sheets of any stiff 4x8 and something to protect the finish. Then sandwich the SS between them after having a layer of something to protect them on each side.

HondoLane
12-14-2018, 08:15 PM
I've bought from a Pacemaker in Utica, NY a few times. They have a great inventory. To transport it plan on having 2 sheets of any stiff 4x8 and something to protect the finish. Then sandwich the SS between them after having a layer of something to protect them on each side.

Yea.. I really do miss buying off of them since I ramped up my metal fab side business. Have to pay retail now in east central PA.. I didnt even mind your 8% NYS tax at their wholesale prices!

calvertbrothers
12-15-2018, 09:52 AM
Local steel supply sells at retail prices for $90 (4x4 sheet). Now.. I used to live on the PA/NY Line by Elmira. In Binghamton there was a place called Pacemaker Steel. They sell WHOLESALE, even to small guys like us. I could get a 4x8 sheet for roughly that price. Now I just searched and it looks like there is a Pacemaker Steel east of Rochester close to you. Id give them a call.

Thank you I’ll have to give them a call!

HondoLane
12-18-2018, 07:08 PM
For reference, my local shop just sold me a 4x4 sheet of 22ga mill finish stainless for $54. I found that it is WAY to much for the mirror finish.... I will polish this mill finish to a mirror finish if I get time..