PDA

View Full Version : Brought up right

DrTimPerkins
12-11-2018, 09:04 AM
Visited my daughter and her boyfriend in NYC a few weeks ago. We were headed to a restaurant and I had to open the glovebox in his car to get something out, and found a small bottle of maple syrup. She explained that was the "emergency" stash (some in each of their cars), in case a restaurant didn't have the real stuff. #Proud moment.

maple flats
12-11-2018, 11:59 AM
My wife and I do the same thing.

lyford
12-11-2018, 01:54 PM
I have a pint jar in the center console of my truck at all times.

Bruce L
12-12-2018, 11:52 AM
I rarely order anything that requires syrup as I know it will be table syrup. Biggest surprise 10 years ago or so at a conference in Burlington Vermont," heart of maple syrup country " and the hotel had table syrup that I couldn't gag down.

Ed R
12-12-2018, 12:09 PM
Eons ago when I was in college I always brought "the good stuff" to the dining hall for breakfast when we were having pancakes or French toast. It was amazing how many friends I made that way. Dr. Townsend the head of the science Dept. was a regular Thursday morning guest.

DrTimPerkins
12-12-2018, 12:21 PM
All the dining halls at the University of Vermont serve real maple syrup from the UVM Proctor Maple Research Center.

Vermont has the only IHOP that actually serves real syrup (although you need to ask for it and pay a little more).

Sadly, even here some restaurants still default to table syrup. That's especially the case for chain restaurants.

highlandcattle
12-13-2018, 04:33 AM
Always amazed when we're out and I ask if it's real maple syrup. "Of course". Gag. Guess not. I really think most people think that fake stuff is real.

MISugarDaddy
12-13-2018, 05:20 AM
I grew up on a farm in Michigan, and although we didn't have a lot of things like kids do today, my Dad insisted on real maple syrup that a neighbor produced. We bought gallons of it each spring. When we got married, my wife said that she had never had the real stuff. As a result of introducing her to it, she has been very supportive of our producing it and is involved in every part of its production.
Gary

maple flats
12-13-2018, 08:01 AM
I had breakfast a few times over the years at the Miss Bellows Falls diner, they served REAL maple syrup.

BAP
12-13-2018, 10:53 AM
All the dining halls at the University of Vermont serve real maple syrup from the UVM Proctor Maple Research Center.

Vermont has the only IHOP that actually serves real syrup (although you need to ask for it and pay a little more).

Sadly, even here some restaurants still default to table syrup. That's especially the case for chain restaurants.
The other Vermont State Colleges serve the fake stuff. My daughter goes to one and keeps a jug of syrup to take in when she has pancakes or waffles.

wiam
12-13-2018, 10:56 AM
The other Vermont State Colleges serve the fake stuff. My daughter goes to one and keeps a jug of syrup to take in when she has pancakes or waffles.

I brought my own when I was at VTC. I did not share. :evil:

Mark-NH
12-13-2018, 06:39 PM
Miss Bellows Falls Diner is awesome

Biz
12-14-2018, 06:38 AM
I kept a jug of maple syrup in my dorm when I was in college. A bunch of us would go to the cafeteria for breakfast and get pancakes with no syrup (they only had the fake stuff) and I would bring the jug down to pass around. The servers didn't quite know what to think of it when several of us in a row ordered "dry" pancakes.

Dave

BAP
12-14-2018, 04:58 PM
Miss Bellows Falls Diner is awesome
It’s for sale if you are looking for a new adventure.

maple flats
12-14-2018, 05:46 PM
Some how I think it was for sale the last time I was there, back in 2010 or 2011 too.

BAP
12-14-2018, 06:39 PM
Some how I think it was for sale the last time I was there, back in 2010 or 2011 too.
It changes hands on a fairly regular basis.

Trapper2
01-16-2020, 07:15 PM
Funny stuff guys. I went out to visit my daughter in Idaho for Christmas and took her yearly 4 quarts along. Well we went out for dinner that evening with a 1/2 dozen of her friends and we were talking about traditions when one of her friends opened her purse and produced a 1 pint flask of her own Maple syrup. She was from Michigan.

ennismaple
01-17-2020, 12:03 PM
Good work raising your daughter Dr Tim! My daughter just went down to Alabama for university last week and forgot to take maple syrup with her! Almost grounds to be disowned... but my wife is sending a care package so she's stocked for the term. She won't make that mistake again!

Chickenman
01-17-2020, 02:30 PM
My daughter returns to school Sunday from winter break and is taking a Nu Can of first run syrup with her. She saw the 3 quarts and the Nu Can grabbed it and declared this is mine I'm taking it to school. Good thing that was the plan.