PDA

View Full Version : Candy with small holes

doocat
09-11-2007, 05:36 PM
I made some candy a few weeks ago and had it stored in a plactic storage container. A few of the last pieces looked like they had small pin holes in them.
Is this the end of the shelf life or did I do something wrong when I made it? They also appeared as though they might have been turning a little lighter or white.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-11-2007, 08:57 PM
The small pin holes was probably a small air bubble in it. As it ages, it normally turns white. I don't know if it is a result of it drying out more or the light bleaching it out or a combination of both. It is usually a signal it is getting harder also.

brookledge
09-11-2007, 09:10 PM
if you store it in a plastic container some times it will sweat. Celophane will give you alonger shelf life. Like you described it will begin to look alittle lighter and tiny holes will appear in it. I think if you where to look at it under a microscope I bet it has mold growing on it.
Keith

doocat
09-12-2007, 04:14 PM
Would heat seling it in a cellophane baggie protect or extend the life a bit? And how soon after making should you get the candy in a cellophane?

Thanks, Craig

mountainvan
09-12-2007, 06:00 PM
If I have any candy left from the weekend I put it in the freezer. Same for maple cream.

brookledge
09-12-2007, 08:06 PM
With cellophane bags the candy will last longer than in plastic. Don't know why other than the cellophane is made from cellulose and not plastic. It has been used in candy for years.
And yes I use an impulse sealer to seal my bags.
Keith

Father & Son
09-13-2007, 08:23 PM
Mountainvan,
When you're putting cream in the freezer is it in plastic or glass containers?
Would glass break or doesn't cream freeze solid enough?
Thanks,
Jim

markcasper
09-13-2007, 10:44 PM
No, cream will not break glass containers that have been placed in the freezer.
I put glass gallons of syrup in the freezer and have never had one break. Theres simply too much sugar in syrup and cream to have them break. It is kind of similar to anti-freeze in that respect.