PDA

View Full Version : Going to build a vacuum filtering tank

boondocker
12-07-2018, 06:05 AM
I have been toying with the idea of building a vacuum operated filtering tank and have watched a few videos on you tube and seen a few pictures here and there. I already had a idea of how to build one, obviously very easy design, but wanted to make it as efficient as possible. So on Tuesday I got bored and took a ride to the CDL super store in Wilton and low and behold they had a brand new one on the floor. Apparently they designed one last year and they had it on display in Vermont this past spring during the show......i guess I walked right by it. Either way I looked it all over, very simple set-up and was pretty much designed the way I had thought of. Anyone here build one yet, bought one or thinking of building one? I am way past my limits on boiling and making syrup without the proper equipment. I spend way to much time boiling and filtering and have come to a cross roads where I need to step up to the next level and build or purchase equipment. This year I will be over a 1000 taps on vacuum with no hood or pre heater, no R/O and no filter press. I have a 5.5 gal. CDL gravity draw off tank that I am going to convert to a vacuum style filtering tank. I am a welder and tigging this up is no big deal I am just nervous that it won't work as I expected to and then have ruined a $350 draw off tank. Looking for more ideas or what you guys have built.

maple flats
12-07-2018, 06:01 PM
Vacuum is a powerful force. Be certain what you build can hold up with the vacuum level you will have. Realize that for example if you have 25" of vacuum that the air pressure around it will be pushing inward at a force of about 25/29 of 14.7 psi. If the vacuum was 29" you would have 14.7 PSI force inward on a std air pressure day

fisheatingbagel
12-17-2018, 09:55 AM
Please keep us posted on your build, if you go forward with it. I've thought about building one also, but using a stacked set of stock pots - sort of a double boiler type setup. I haven't been able to find any pots that look like they would fit together well enough.

DrTimPerkins
12-17-2018, 12:11 PM
For those who've not seen one of these units, here is one offered by CDL. Just picked it up last week...haven't tried it yet. We'll use it for smaller batches.

As Dave said, your tank is probably not sturdy enough. This thing is pretty beefy.

BAP
12-17-2018, 01:33 PM
For those who've not seen one of these units, here is one offered by CDL. Just picked it up last week...haven't tried it yet. We'll use it for smaller batches.

As Dave said, your tank is probably not sturdy enough. This thing is pretty beefy.
I bought one on early order last spring. They are made by Faucher Evaporator which is now part of CDL. As Dr Tim said. this is made out of thicker walled stainless and is much heavier than it looks to be. I can't wait to try it.

n8hutch
12-17-2018, 02:37 PM
Dumb question, how do they work? Where is the vacuum applied? How is it applied? There appears to be alot of fittings clamps and such hooked to it? L.S. Bilodeau offers one too... I'm not looking to build one , just kind of interested how it works, cant wrap my head around the vac pulling the syrup through the filter and then releasing it. My guess is you pull the syrup through the filter with the vac and then turn it off or relieve it some how. Sure does look neat.

On a side note I looked up Faucher a week or so ago because I noticed Bascoms was selling a bunch of there stuff at what seemed to be discounted prices, turns out if you go to there webpage it redirects you to a new fab company, so that makes sense that CDL bought them out or there technology anyway.

DrTimPerkins
12-18-2018, 08:15 AM
Opening on top to put in syrup. There is a cloth filter and prefilter you put in first on top of a mesh grid.

Vacuum is applied to the tank underneath the top section (where you put the syrup in) via a fitting on the side (fairly high up and shielded a bit). Vacuum evacuates the chamber so it isn't pulling syrup directly towards the vacuum outlet so much as into the chamber.

Syrup collects in this lower chamber (there is a sight tube to keep track of depth of syrup in chamber). When finished, vacuum is shut off and bled off, and a spigot/valve is used to empty the tank.

Instruction manual is here https://www.cdlusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Manual-Vacuum-Filter-Press.pdf

We'll use it mainly for smaller batches and to filter after experimenting with various "infusions." Too little syrup to use a filter press with (unless we go to a fairly small press).

n8hutch
12-18-2018, 10:28 AM
Thank you Dr. Tim Perkins, that all makes sense, I saw one several years ago and I thought that it was an interesting concept.

maple flats
12-18-2018, 07:11 PM
To consider the strength needed, just picture an old Surge vacuum tank that imploded. Remember, if you put a total vacuum on the tank it will have about 14.7 PSI +/- depending on the barometric pressure at the time on every sq. inch of the unit, all pushing inward. It will find the weak spot.
Since the top will always be leaking you won't really be able to achieve a perfect vacuum, but you might need to regulate it down too.

Helicopter Seeds
01-14-2019, 06:23 PM
Saw the video on their website, no pricing information. It seems simpler than a small press, and I assume that you can heat the tank from the bottom to bottle it right up.
Is there any feedback from people who have used this?

fred
01-16-2019, 06:10 PM
the 9" is around $500
the 12" is around $1000

Helicopter Seeds
01-17-2019, 09:51 AM
Thanks Fred.

Seems a few folks have demonstrated some DIY units, using stacked/ modified pots. I think I could build one for less than $150, that would have about 3 to 4 gallon full capacity, but that is also $150 risk that it may not work. A cheaper option may be to use clear plastic food containers, but be careful of going to low pressure, and lose the reheat option. $500 may not be bad to consider I don't have to make anything, and 3.6 gallon is good for me. Wish there were more reviews and feedback however. Not sure if folks are using DE in that or not, but it looks like they can.

needmoremaples
01-18-2019, 02:47 AM
Made my own vacuum filter prior to ever seeing the cdl one.(or any expensive professional one.) I had the 4 gallon pots, bought a 3/4 bulkhead fitting, valve, nipples, 6.5 hp shop vac (too much h.p. had to slow it down), and ferncopvc adapter so the vac hose could adapt to threaded piping. The orlin filters come in 36"x36" so I made 4 of them to fit my syrup pot. I fixed the orlon filter by binder clips. With too much suction I found out I needed quite a few of them. They set the filter down 3/4" minimum so that created like a reservoir to know when to turn on the vac. I did this all myself so when I needed the vac on I had a switch I could hit with my foot. Took some figuring out but the only time I got syrup in my vac hose was when the pot was full. I reccomend making the sight glass or use clear PVC nipples. (Ive used them at work but not sure where to pick up). With my 4 gallon pots I was doing 3 gallon batches. May re create with large Turkey fryer sized pots for more volume or install a drain.

I bet I made this for under a hundred bucks. Why do I need a expensive filter press?

Helicopter Seeds
01-18-2019, 11:23 AM
Thanks for sharing. Another convincing argument that the method works. I suppose I need to weigh the pros and cons of each. The CDL has features like the gage and the sight tube, and the clamps, all of which could be added to a DIY, but each item to add would increase the cost to make. Not to mention all the miscellaneous items are not available everywhere, probably a few days of shopping. But to minimize cost under $100 has a real upside. It looks like cleanup is not extensive, and if you can bottle right out of the bottom spigot, then that can condense the process.

I saw Dr. Tim's mention of a Buchner Funnel, they seem to be expensive in larger sizes, but am going to look at materials used in drum funnels. Attaching one of those to a lid on a clear plastic 22 quart food container should do the same thing. Those at like $15 each.

needmoremaples
01-24-2019, 12:25 PM
i mostly just only put in what i know the pot holds but the sight glass is a good idea if you have a lower pipe on it. could make a bigger one too. Im still thinking of getting clear pvc nipples. If you see syrup stop lol. If your syrup is still at bottling temp you definitely could bottle at that point. i normally reheat and dump into a coffee urn with another bag orlon filter which catches any new nitre made (not too much but i love my syrup clear!) could also find a bigger pot that i could do like a water jacket instead of direct heat.