PDA

View Full Version : No float box

steve J
11-27-2018, 09:43 AM
I am a little frustrated with Leader. I bought a new supreme pan from them late in the season last year. It is a 2x4 pan and I got to boil with it twice. But that was enough to realize I need a float but Leader did not build pan with a place to add a float box. My question is this is a reversible pan so I do have port for a draw off on the end that the sap come in. Is there a way to make that port work for a float box?

If not I have read where its possible to put one in the channel but a baffle may be needed to keep the float stable. Is this baffle something that can be bought or is it something that I need to make? if I need to make it can someone show me a picture so I know what it looks like and how it works?

maple flats
11-27-2018, 10:40 AM
Did you call Leader about it? They should be able to answer and fix the problem. If Leader isn't close enough to you, any good SS welder could also do it. Every front pan I've ever seen has 2 float boxes, as one is used as the inlet, the other is used to draw off, just swap the float back and forth.
Many newer designs have one infeed and are designed to reverse the flow by closing one valve and opening another.

smokeyamber
11-27-2018, 01:14 PM
Hey Steve !

So my 2x5 is reversable and I ordered a float box from Smokey lake that connects to the inlet side, the box is fed from above by the head tank. Works great and if Leader does not have a solution Smokey Lake makes a nice one...

Good luck gearing up for the season !

Chris

CTSap4Maple
11-27-2018, 01:40 PM
I was hoping someone could suggest how to plumb one into a Mason 2x4XL as well!

steve J
11-27-2018, 04:23 PM
CTSAP my arch and my preheater are a Mason I just swapped my pan out for a leader supreme pan which gives me a much higher evaporation rate. My guess is if I can find a solution to my problem it will probably be similar answer to yours. Although I think your xl is a 4 channel pan so maybe not the same solution.

Potters3
11-29-2018, 08:53 AM
Try Leader, when the first started building those they did have a float box that was a add on. I believe a modified WSE float box

buckeye gold
11-29-2018, 11:00 AM
I'd just plumb one in. Buy one from smokey lake or Leader and plumb it in. You will need to punch a hole in your pan and either have a stainless nipple welded in or get a stainless bulkhead fitting (something like this https://www.amazon.com/Kegco-Stainless-Steel-Weldless-Bulkhead/dp/B01N3PR99S/ref=asc_df_B01N3PR99S/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584001418487915&psc=1 ). If you know someone who does electrical work they usually have a metal hole set, if not you can get a good carbide hole saw on amazon ( https://www.amazon.com/EZARC-Carbide-Cutter-Heavy-Stainless/dp/B01I416TR4/ref=sr_1_18_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1543510557&sr=8-18-spons&keywords=electricians%2Bhole%2Bsaw%2Bkit&th=1 I would not go through a season without the float box. If your not comfortable doing the work then just about any good fabricator could do it in a short while.

mbascom
11-29-2018, 01:11 PM
Leader does make a float system for the supreme pans that bolts onto the pan. Some people prefer the reservoir pan so they do not automatically include it with the syrup pan. Bascom's or any Leader dealer would be able to get you one. 18990

steve J
11-29-2018, 04:27 PM
Thanks mbascom I did talk to Fred about this today and I will probably try it but it seems to me it takes up a fair amount of room in first channel and that has to affect boil rate. It seems like a mickey mouse system to me. I need to make this thing work with my preheater which is a mason preheater that sets over the elbow. In hind sight I should have waited till the end of the season than bought a smokey lake pan. They seem to be more focused on the smaller producer.

maple flats
11-29-2018, 08:14 PM
An external float box is better IMHO.

steve J
12-03-2018, 05:29 PM
I am heading up to leader tomorrow to look at the bolt on float. I do have a question my preheat outlet is only 1 1/8" above the top of my pan so I question rather there is enough room to be able to plumb it in? I may be able to lift preheater using some metal plate another 1/2" but that's it. So if I had to make a choice between a preheater or a float what do you think my best option is? Its not a great preheater but is better than air temperature sap.