PDA

View Full Version : Homemade hood question

Bucket Head
09-09-2007, 08:17 PM
Hello,

Over the winter I plan on building a hood for my rig. My "blue print's" are just about complete.

I am undecided on what style door's to have on it. Should I put the "hinged" style on or the "slider" style?

What style is on your evaporator? What style does everyone prefer?

I would really appreciate some input on this.

Thank's guy's,
Steve

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Kinda a Chev vs Ford thing. Either way you would likely be happy. I went with sliding because in my opinion because it is less likely to let steam escape and less like to get damaged or develop areas to leak steam.

Just my opinion only.

super sappy
09-10-2007, 05:39 PM
I liked the slider on mine. It seemed that a hinged door may give someone a face full of steam (puff) if opened quickly. The slider I could open a crack and look in. Worked for me. Sappy

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
09-10-2007, 09:07 PM
I'll have to agree...The slider style seems to be way more operator friendly!

Fred Henderson
09-11-2007, 06:21 AM
I went with hinged but then I had to use more SS closures to prevent any leaks.

ibby458
09-11-2007, 06:50 AM
I put in hinged Lexan, and they don't work well. They leak and you can't see thru them anyway. I'm thinking of retrofitting sliders.

Russell Lampron
09-11-2007, 05:18 PM
My hood has sliding doors with the tracks on the inside so the condensation drains back into the inside of the hood. They work good and don't leak.

Russ

325abn
09-11-2007, 07:06 PM
Mine has doors that come off like a pot cover. They work great.

brookledge
09-11-2007, 09:03 PM
In either style when you close down the damper the steam will find a way out some where.If you close it too much it will cause the hood to rattle and shake as the pressure builds
Keith

ziggy
09-12-2007, 08:12 AM
Either work well, but if you go with hinged put the hinge at the bottom that way when you open them the steam goes away from you and you don't get burn't.

Fred Henderson
09-12-2007, 07:05 PM
My hinges are at the top and you only have to get burned once to remember that they are at the top.

maple flats
09-15-2007, 07:07 PM
I made mine sliders and they work real well. To mount them I made a S shaped channel that I slid onto the opening and they are captured by the opewning and the slidding door. I closed the S where it slides onto the hood and left it loose for the door to slide. Put the bottom S on the hood, slide the upper into place and hold if needed until the door is in place. You can also leave the S a little long where it is on top and the bottom and rivet it but i have not found it necessary.