PDA

View Full Version : Who boils with their syrup pan covered by a hood?

heus
11-23-2018, 05:09 PM
After years of fighting to contain steam from the syrup pan of 3 different evaporators I made the decision to have my syrup pan hood, which now cantilevers off the flue pan hood, modified to sit right on my syrup pan. I am having a large door made on either side for easy access. I know of one sugarmaker in my area that boils this way with no problems. Anyone else boil the same? Its a 2x8 Smoky Lake with an auto draw.

maple flats
11-23-2018, 05:37 PM
I have a hood over the syrup pan, but it is about 14" above the pan. It still collects most but not all of the steam. It may help that on a 3x3 pan and hood, it has a 15" stack.

Potters3
11-24-2018, 05:26 AM
I have boiled both ways, when people visit we raise the hood so they can see in. When we are alone or it get hot in the shack we lower the hood. No problems running either way. Our hood have stacks that go up thru roof so either raised or lowered we get very little steam in the shack. When raised does put more heat into the room.

1ruralmailman
11-25-2018, 05:25 AM
my hood covers my syrup pan,but is suspended ten inches or so above it,i made curtains from heavy vinyl like the drive through forklift door material that hangs down over the side of the pan,so seeing in is no trouble,but all steam is collected and sent up and out.

Zucker Lager
11-25-2018, 11:50 AM
This may be a question more than a suggestion? But. Exhaust hoods in industrial applications for energy conservation limit the exhaust for a hood so that it "JUST" removes the vapors they need exhausted. IF there is vapor (or steam?) venting past the hood then you need more positive exhaust flow. Could a little help like a vent fan keep steam from venting past the hood and solve the problem? then you would still have clear view of the pan but no steam in the shack. Or am I missing something? thanks Jay

n8hutch
11-25-2018, 02:39 PM
I want to get a tight fitting hood for my syrup pan and or Pans, I have seen many oil fired leader Rigs with tight fitting hoods on the syrup pans, even with a door open that is essentially the full length of the pans they take 95% plus of the steam up the stack. They are impressive. And it's a nice clean look.

Sugarmaker
11-25-2018, 08:40 PM
Jason,
I heard you had a big day with some local visitors.
I boil with the front hood down almost on the front pan, but it has a 4-6 inch gap on both sides and the front. 95% of the steam goes out. and I can still have instant access to the pan compartments. Your welcome to come over and look at my set up. We can discuss some options and why this works. Not sure how it might work on smaller evaporator? Mine is 3 feet wide 4 compartments.
Regards,
Chris

heus
11-26-2018, 06:16 PM
Chris yes I did :)
I have seen your hood in pics and I would probably have gone that route but I'm just having David Yochim modify my existing hood.

lew
11-27-2018, 07:06 AM
Our hood sits roughly 18 inches over 5x6 front pan. 15 inch stack with an exhaust fan in the stack. All the steam goes out the stack unless doors are open sugarhouse and its windy out. I personally want to see what's going on in each partition all the time, but especially on start up.

I do know of a good in our area that does sit tight on the front pan, but it was made smaller than the front pan on purpose. What they did was make the hood 1 partition narrower than the pan. This way they would leave the partition they were making syrup in exposed for easy viewing. The exhaust stack had a section of flexible stack on the lower end so that when they switched sides they just slid the hood over to the opposite side. Neat idea, but I still prefer to see everything.

Maple Man 85
11-27-2018, 04:45 PM
I'm running a 4x16 Leader Vortex and boil with the hood resting on the syrup pan it works great, any condensation that does build up in the hood flows out and in to a drain to minimize water on the floor. When we have visitors I raise the hood so people can see it boil. I can raise it about a foot before steam starts to roll around the edges of the hood.

upsmapleman
11-28-2018, 07:53 AM
I have one that sits tight on the pan. I installed a glass in the middle with a door on either side. The glass I got from a local glass shop which is rated for wood stoves. I then installed a light in it so you can see exactly what is going on. It is a little steamy until it gets warm but then clears up. Any condensate is channeled out.It works the same way as a light in the back pan when we have a steam a way.

heus
12-02-2018, 06:01 PM
Thanks guys. Got my hood back and I think its going to work great.

Sugarmaker
12-02-2018, 07:36 PM
Jason,
We need pictures too! Glad you got it back quickly. Before you know it syrup time will be here!
Regards,
Chris

heus
03-25-2019, 01:53 PM
Just want to update this post by saying that I love having the hood directly on the pan.