PDA

View Full Version : Making doors semi air tight

tgormley358
11-19-2018, 09:00 PM
I’d like to improve the air tightness of the wood loading double door Closure on my Lapierre Jr 2x5. There’s an almost 1/4” gap between the doors. I’m not experienced with welding and lack the tools. Can I use a high temp adhesive to attach gasket? I have a blower I’m not using yet due to the lack of air tightness. I don’t want sparks shooting out of the gap in the doors. I’m guessing others may have tried something
For this. Thanks in advance.

Tom

Zucker Lager
11-20-2018, 12:57 PM
Hey Tom:
I'm not sure how the door's "rim" of your Lapierre contacts the face frame of the arch? but if it has a flat area at least 1/2 maybe even 3/8 I'll bet you can get woodstove gasket sealant and "glue" some woodstove door gasket to that edge. My door has a rounded grove cut into it and the gasket sits in there and I use Rutland stove / gasket cement. I get my gasket bulk from ACE it comes in 5/16 diameter that works good for my door's clearance from the face. Clean the surface well wire brush then solvent and the cement sets up once it gets hot. Good Luck Jay

n8hutch
11-20-2018, 04:43 PM
I ran mine 1 season with a blower and a 2 door cast iron front, I restricted the blower some so it didn't blow as hard as it does now, I also would shut a piece of ceramic blanket between the doors when I closed them.

tgormley358
11-21-2018, 06:42 AM
Thanks for sharing your experience. These are along the lines I was thinking too. I’m going to visit a local stove shop and see what they have for gasket and cement, and any other ideas.

jrobida
01-20-2019, 05:01 PM
Tom, did you find a good solution for this?

S.S.S
01-20-2019, 05:57 PM
We had same issue and following year bought a sealed front from Lapierre

jrobida
01-20-2019, 06:50 PM
So Lapierre sells air tight doors that fit using the existing hinge brackets? I’ll check it out.

n8hutch
01-20-2019, 08:05 PM
So Lapierre sells air tight doors that fit using the existing hinge brackets? I’ll check it out.

Not that I'm aware of. You have to buy a whole new front.

maple flats
01-21-2019, 07:18 AM
If it's like what I've seen Leader offers, you need to remove the entire front and replace it with the airtight front. Fairly pricey but likely worth it.
On my arch, with both AUF and AOF I can see thru a space between the doors but I get nothing out the space except light from the fire. I can and do even open my doors to fuel with the blower on, still nothing comes out (except heat and light). I'm not saying this is good, just that mine is like that.