PDA

View Full Version : broken main line wire

ollieman
11-17-2018, 05:57 PM
Just found mainline wire broken. Whats everybody find is the best way to splice back together?

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
11-17-2018, 07:06 PM
gripple is the easiest and holds up very well

Moser's Maple
11-17-2018, 07:39 PM
I like fastloks. No special tools needed. Break strength as high as the ht wire.
https://kencove.com/fence/Fastlok+Wire+Splicer_detail_CLO.php

Russell Lampron
11-18-2018, 05:46 AM
Currently I use the crimp sleeves but am planning to switch over to the Fastlok's like Jake is using when I use up my supply of crimp sleeves. It'll be one less tool to carry when making repairs.

karl evans
11-18-2018, 08:30 AM
I want to agree with the fastlok comments. They are an improvement over the gripple. We have not had a fastlok fail but we did see gripples fail.

maple flats
11-18-2018, 10:46 AM
Loosen some side ties, then add the fastlock using the tension tool (or a fence stretcher) and then re-do the side ties for tension. If you loosen enough side ties you may not need the tensioner.

sapman
11-24-2018, 07:56 PM
I have no idea of the failure rate of the fastlocks. Perhaps very low to none? Might interest me if they stand up for many years. I've found I can't beat the good double crimp sleeves, though. I double on straight runs, and never had a failure. I use a fence stretcher(Strainrite) to bring the ends to overlap. I know my fencing expert used to use a similar straight fitting, similar to fastlock, I assume, but he went back to crimps due to failures. It does require carrying a big crimping tool around though, which can be a pain. FWIW, tried gripples a few times, and returned them all. Almost every one failed due to the amount of tension I put on.

maple flats
11-25-2018, 07:11 AM
I actually use 3 crimp sleeves, would 1 work? Maybe, what about 2? maybe better, but I like 3.

sapman
11-25-2018, 11:34 AM
And I'm not talking the cheap crimps from TSC. The ones like Kencove sells or Kiwi. I can actually get about three crimps on each one.

Road's End
11-25-2018, 06:59 PM
I use crimps but that's only because I have high tensile fences on the farm. 2 should be fine, 3 would definitely hold up. I do like the looks of those fastlok splices though, they look super simple to use.