PDA

View Full Version : Tips on drilling stainless?

Bruce L
11-17-2018, 11:21 AM
Trying to put a light in the hood above the steam away,bought a special diamond coated bit from Lowes,but not making any headway to drill the 3/4" hole for the conduit for the cord. Will also need to drill two 1/4" holes to bolt the octagon box to the hood,tried a small 1/16" bit there,but hardly made a mark.

johnallin
11-17-2018, 03:17 PM
Try a step bit. It's what I use if I have to do any drilling in stainless. Lots of cutting oil, good firm-steady pressure and, SLOW speed.
Go too fast and you'll just burn the bit up. Good Luck.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Steel-Core-Titanium-Step-Drill-Bit-Set-5-Piece-with-Storage-Case-33148/302972677

raptorfan85
11-17-2018, 04:35 PM
Strange as it sounds, I've had really good luck starting holes with self tappers. Don't ask me why but they blast right threw. Then I take it to the size I need with a titanium step bit like John said. Slow and lots of cutting oil.

maple flats
11-17-2018, 05:40 PM
I regularly use cadmium bits, not cadmium coated. I drill 1/8" generally to start and I use no oil. Then if I need a big hole (over 1/2") I drill a hole 3/8" or 1/2" and then use a Greenlee punch. They are pricey, but make a perfect hole and last for ever. I have 3 sizes. (7/8", 1 3/8" and
1 7/8") for the 1/2" box electrical connector, a 1" pipe and a 1.5" pipe.

Potters3
11-19-2018, 06:58 AM
with SS, and I have drilled a lot of it. Push hard and don't us a lot of rpm pulse the drill if you can, if the metal gets to hot from the bit spinning it will temper. Start with small hole and work up to size you need

Bruce L
11-20-2018, 11:38 AM
Got a 1/8" cobalt bit,1/4" cobalt bit,and a step bit from Home Depot. Drilled real slow with lots of pressure and snow as a lubricant,walked right through the stainless steel,light installed in the hood. Thanks for the tips everyone

maple flats
11-20-2018, 07:13 PM
Good job, a light is a real plus under the hood. Be sure to use a light that is designed for wet areas.

Waynehere
11-21-2018, 07:18 AM
I had struggled with drilling SS as well. Then I saw a metal smith drill with no oil and used regular bits. The key is to not let the metal get hot. Short quick bursts from a cordless drill does the trick. You want the drill to stop quickly between bursts. Pause a little between the quick bursts of drilling. Start with 1/8" and work your way up. Works even with a hole saw too. If the metal gets hot, then you will struggle to get any drill to go through. Sharp bits really help too...