PDA

View Full Version : stopping mid-boil

MiniBarnsMapleRiver
11-14-2018, 06:50 AM
Hi, I’m not a first time tree tapper but this coming 2019 season will be my first time boiling. I use to give sap to a fellow friend but after purchasing land and having more trees I plan on boiling myself (about 100 taps going in) so I have to ask, I’m using propane and say I boil for four hours after work but don’t finish it that night can I stop cooking it mid-boil and pick it back up the next day ... or does that ruin sap to syrup process?

Any tips you can offer a beginner would also be much appreciated, thanks :)

Old Farmer
11-14-2018, 07:08 AM
Hi MiniBarns
Shouldn't hurt anything to stop boiling and start up again later. I do it all the time. You might get slightly darker syrup, but to me it hasn't been a big deal. A lot of guys want to finish all the sap the day it is collected so that they don't get bacteria growth in the sap and darker syrup.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

master
11-14-2018, 07:09 AM
I do just that every season. As long as you don't let it go bad between boils you'll be fine! maybe a bit darker and more niter

MiniBarnsMapleRiver
11-14-2018, 07:38 AM
Thanks! That’s a relief to hear it’s ok, at least on weekends I can spend a good chunk of hours constantly boiling but that it’s ok to pause. I actually prefer darker syrup myself so that certainly won’t be a problem!

Im a little nervous boiling for the first time so I’ve been reading tons, watching other’s videos as well.

phil-t
11-14-2018, 07:45 AM
What are you boiling on? Processing sap from 100 taps is going to be a lot of hours boiling.

MiniBarnsMapleRiver
11-14-2018, 12:19 PM
Still looking around haven’t bought anything yet, looking to stay away from burning wood. I don’t expect a 100+ gallons of sap, almost all the trees except ten have never been touched before, are forest grown and around here it seems forest grown that don’t get too much sun and are surrounded by pines don’t produce as well as the massive ones that thrive in cleared spaces and are 70+ inches around — those handful of large ones near the house give a good amount though.

maple flats
11-14-2018, 12:56 PM
Don't be fooled, some medium size trees will give lots of sap if they are in moist soil and if they have good crowns the sugar will be good. I find sometimes a tree that is 12-15" DBH is a great producer. A tree does not have to be huge to get lots of sap out the taphole.

johnallin
11-14-2018, 01:38 PM
Once you get the pan sweetened, you will always have syrup, or near syrup, when you shut down. Be more concerned about your sap. It will spoil if left too long in warmer temperatures. You’re going to have a blast. My bet is that you’re going too move up to a half pint very soon. Have fun.

Sugarmaker
11-18-2018, 01:00 PM
Stopping and starting the next day will be fine. They call that sleep!:) stopping for a week can even work if the temps are cold but not freezing your pans solid.
Welcome, and good luck! Start slow.
Regards,
Chris

EBG18T
12-10-2018, 07:41 PM
As the others mentioned most of have to start and stop. No issues.

Make sure you get a good evaporator with drop or raised flues if your starting with a decent amount of taps. We started with 250 taps and quickly realized we needed an RO or a bigger Evaporator. Our sugar shack is only so big, so the current evaporator is staying, but we added a 40gph RO for this year. I sure hope it helps.

Its fun, tiring and addicting.

bmbmkr
12-11-2018, 07:28 AM
Still looking around haven’t bought anything yet, looking to stay away from burning wood. I don’t expect a 100+ gallons of sap, almost all the trees except ten have never been touched before, are forest grown and around here it seems forest grown that don’t get too much sun and are surrounded by pines don’t produce as well as the massive ones that thrive in cleared spaces and are 70+ inches around — those handful of large ones near the house give a good amount though.

You may find that those small canopy woods trees will give just as much sap, but that sap will have a lower sugar %, which means even more boiling. You may reduce the number of taps your first year, or even your first week. See how much sap you ge that week, then you can tap the rest of em if need be and time alows. My little rig boils off 20 gallon an hour, and I put 100 taps in and he first few runs I got 2 gallons per tap, my first boil was 20 hours! Second was 18 hours, after that I boiled 8, slept 8, boiled 8 etc.. Bought an RO the next year and doubled my taps. Even for a small producer, RO is the way to go! Welcome to the maple bug addition group.

buckeye gold
12-11-2018, 06:33 PM
bmbmkr is right you know what you'll get out of a tree when you tap it. I have a few that have so much damage that the hollow center shows, but they have grown over the edges of the exposed heart. I tap those new growth area and they gush sap. Once I have tapped all the good new growth I cut them down for firewood. I have some that I have tapped for 7-8 years and still get sap, others 2-3 years and down they come.