PDA

View Full Version : Burning tamarack

Lance
09-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Anybody out there ever burn tamarack? If so, how would you rate it in terms of heat value? Firewood charts list it as about in the middle of different woods for heat value but it's so **** light, I find that hard to believe. Anybody's experience greatly appreciated.

Fred Henderson
09-06-2007, 07:14 PM
Well beleive it. I use it to heat my house with in an outside wood boiler. I also use it in the SH. It burns very hot but does not last very long. Also has very little ash.

maple flats
09-12-2007, 06:47 PM
I think Tamarack has lots of natural oils in the wood. This makes the fire hot but it is rather light wood. The oils are what makes it good wood for direct ground contact instead of pressure treated. I would like some logs to saw into joists and posts.

Fred Henderson
09-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Although I have never used it to build anything. I have been told that it makes excellent stringers for a short span bridge. Once dry it is a real bear to put nails into. An old boat building friend of mine told me that it was use in some boat building.

Lance
09-13-2007, 11:52 PM
Thanks, Fred, for your input. Maple flats, if you want some tamarack logs, PM me - we've got a bunch of it on the property.