PDA

View Full Version : large enough blower?

mudr
10-21-2018, 04:27 PM
I have a 2x6 with 8 inch stack that I want to add a blower to. I was gifted a used 90 cfm shaded pole blower from an old water heater. Is 90 cfm enough? Link to blower below.

https://www.mccombssupply.com/w3-fasco-water-heater-inducer-motor-for-bradford-white-117524-000-239-39785-00/

n8hutch
10-21-2018, 04:51 PM
I don't think so, your going to want about 200 or more, I have an old oil gun that runs mine, it is good sized one but I got it for free. If you know someone in the heating business it's a great way to get one.

raptorfan85
10-21-2018, 07:05 PM
I just finished building my own 2x4. It has a 275 cfm blower on it and its sized just about perfect for it, maybe a little small if anything. I would get around a 400 cfm for your rig.

maple flats
10-21-2018, 07:19 PM
The one with an oil burner blower is a high pressure blower, thus it will work well at fewer CFM. You want about a blower of 273 CFM in a squirrel cage blower for a 2x6 arch. According to the Bascom Catalog, a 2x4 up thru a 3x10 all use a 273 cfm blower, then as the size of the arch goes up from a 3x10 the blower also gets larger.

mudr
10-22-2018, 05:43 AM
Thanks guys. I did a little research and found the Dayton 1TRD3 online, which I believe should bolt up the studs left on the back of my firebox by the arch manufacturer. It is 265 cfm and can be had new for $80. Not too bad I guess.

maple flats
10-22-2018, 07:39 AM
That should be fine.

mudr
11-11-2018, 07:06 PM
Got the blower in and now it's time to wire it up. I've read where folks use a router speed control to vary the speed and to turn on and off. This model is not a shaded pole unit, so it technically is not designed to run at variable speeds. I kind of like the idea of variable speed.

Anyone else done this before? Am I guaranteed to burn up the motor?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Russell Lampron
11-11-2018, 07:29 PM
When I had that problem I made a damper for the outlet of the blower to restrict the airflow into the arch. Once I got it dialed in it worked great.

Johnny Yooper
11-12-2018, 09:29 PM
Got the blower in and now it's time to wire it up. I've read where folks use a router speed control to vary the speed and to turn on and off. This model is not a shaded pole unit, so it technically is not designed to run at variable speeds. I kind of like the idea of variable speed.

Anyone else done this before? Am I guaranteed to burn up the motor?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I've been using a Dayton model 4C447 blower for some years on my oil tank arch (2x4 pan and 2'x16" pan) wired to a speed control I purchased for about $30; checking Dayton's website, the 4C447 blower is no longer available and shows two replacements: the 1TDR3 (PSC type motor) and the 6FHX9 (shaded pole motor); the specs on both are very close to each other and to that of my blower. There are speed controls that will work with both motor designs, simply search online for "speed controls for PSC motors" if you have or will obtain the 1TDR3 and you'll see a variety (remember: you get what you pay for). I've made several mods to my oil tank arch to improve the boil rate and by far the #1 mod was adding Air Under Fire with the blower; the speed control dialed in the sweet spot for CFM and there was no turning back. Good Luck!