PDA

View Full Version : Hanging pails vs dropline/buckets

BoerBoel
10-18-2018, 01:45 PM
We have hung pails the previous could of years but after reading some of the previous posts about drop lines and pails I started thinking. The bush is fairly flat, so I do not think we would be able to set up any lateral lines and get any natural vacuum going. We have only about 15-20 taps.

I was wondering if there is any advantage between hanging pails and dropline/buckets?
If we had a dropline of maybe 3-4 feet or possibly 2 trees on a line with a 3-4 drop would there be any advantage (e.g. more sap, longer season, etc.)?
Or would it not make any difference?

Haynes Forest Products
10-18-2018, 05:12 PM
I believe there is an advantage of cleaner sap into a contained bucket. Less air born bacteria blowing around into open tap holes. Ease of collecting and you wont have rain or snow effecting the quality of the sap.

phil-t
10-18-2018, 06:52 PM
My setup is small - started with hanging pails, lids and moved to 5 gal buckets with lids and drop tubes. Not much difference in sap quantity but a huge difference in quality. No dirt, rain, snow, insects, etc. Easy collecting - just carry a spare pail and swap it in, dummping the collected sap and moving on. Easy.
I run individual drops to the bucket lid, sometimes 3 of them. Holes are drilled in the lid so the drops are snug and form a seal. Drill a very small hole in the side of the bucket, near the top, for a vent (in case the lid seals to the bucket.

raptorfan85
10-18-2018, 08:09 PM
Phil, did you notice any difference in how long the taps ran for? Seems to me like it would be more sanitary for the tap hole to have a drop rather then an open hole for a bucket drop.

phil-t
10-19-2018, 05:14 AM
Sorry, I did not. For what I do, it would likely be insignificant. This is all pretty new to me, this year I will keep better records. :)

Cjadamec
10-19-2018, 06:10 AM
I would do drops into buckets. Even at 3-4 feet of drop a 3/16 tubing will actually start to pull some vacuum on the tree. Its not much but even a little bit can help increase your production on slow days.

As other have mentioned as well with drops into buckets its much easier to keep things clean. Don't seal your buckets air tight. They need at least 1 small vent to allow air to be pushed out of the bucket as it fills with sap. Also don't extend the drop tube more than an inch or two into the bucket, the tubing should go in just enough so that it stays put.

buckeye gold
10-19-2018, 11:24 AM
Phil, did you notice any difference in how long the taps ran for?

I ran 50% drops into buckets and 50% bags for years. My buckets with drops always outproduced my bags. I can't tell you how much longer they ran, but bags would start to diminish sap in 4 weeks and bucket with tubes would still be cranking. On average I pulled bags a week to 10 days prior to buckets if I recall correctly. I always put a little swag in my tube to trap some sap and it worked like a liquid seal from air to the tap hole.

BoerBoel
10-19-2018, 12:39 PM
Thanks for all of the info...I can always count on getting answers to a newbie's questions.

So by the sounds of things, the drop line/buckets might have some advantages like cleaner sap that might last a little longer before boiling (less bacteria), easier collecting than the hanging pails (although you could just swap them out like what was suggested with the buckets), possible longer running taps.

I think that was all of the advantages suggested for the drop line/bucket.

So my idea would be to...

drop line would be approx. 5' long;
have a non-gasketed lid (so the bucket is not sealed to well in order to swap out when collecting) with a hole drilled in the lid to one side for either a drop line or a tap that would be stuck in to the lid;
the line/tap would only stick through the lid 1-2 inches;
the bucket would have a small hole drilled in the side to allow air in and overflow of sap out to help keep the end of the drop line from sitting in the sap and sucking it back to the tree tap;
the bucket would be on a slight slant to allow any water to runoff of the lid and away from the hole in the lid;
I would put a brick on top of the bucket to keep the bucket from blowing over when empty;
Is the "swag" idea needed to help with the longer run? Would it assist with any minimal vacuum?
What size drop line would anyone suggest? Is it best to use 3/16 tubing as someone suggested?
How often should the drop lines be replaced?
Am I correct in saying the taps at the trees should be replaced every year (less often if they have silver blended into the plastic)?
If I use taps to attach the line to the bucket, do they need to be replaced every years like the taps at the trees?

buckeye gold
10-19-2018, 04:02 PM
Is the "swag" idea needed to help with the longer run? Would it assist with any minimal vacuum?

You'll most likely get some swag by just using a line to the bucket. I think it helps with prolonging the run, but just guessing

What size drop line would anyone suggest? Is it best to use 3/16 tubing as someone suggested?

Either will work, but I prefer 5/16 as your not getting any amount of vac.

How often should the drop lines be replaced?

Every year, at 15-20 taps it's not worth cleaning them.

Am I correct in saying the taps at the trees should be replaced every year (less often if they have silver blended into the plastic)?

Yes

If I use taps to attach the line to the bucket, do they need to be replaced every years like the taps at the trees?

Drill your hole the same size as your tubing O.D. and just push it through, you won't need anything to hold it in the bucket. You may need to slightly ream the hole. Yes replace taps in trees yearly unless using antibacterial.

Another thing; just use enough tubing to set your bucket on the ground stable. No need for long pieces of tubing. Mine probably averaged 36"

maineboiler
10-22-2018, 11:08 AM
Here are my 2 cents on hanging buckets vs drop lines:
I use spouts and buckets for about 1/3 of my taps. 2/3 of my taps are on 5/16" plastic spouts and drop lines to 5 gallon pails. The drop lines and buckets keep the sap cleaner and fresher; probably they stay productive longer. More fittings and tubing though. The hanging metal buckets are more rustic and fun for collecting if you have a Maple Sugar Festival or open house.
I recommend using food grade plastic pails for the drop lines. This will keep the sap fresher and cleaner and allow you some leeway if you can't collect for 2-3 days. More $ up front but it's worth it.
The biggest problem I had with the pails were them getting blown away. Many of my taps are roadside and in a ridge. I solved this by putting a water filled Zip Lock bag into the pail. Putting a brick or a stone on top does nothing, it gets knocked over quickly.
I also will put short segments of 2X4"'s down as a base for the pails to get them level. It's important to have lids that fit well to protect the sap. I have not had to put any vents in as the lids do not create a complete seal on the pail.
I clean and reuse the plastic tubing each year which keeps cost down.
It's great when the sap is flowing and the 5 gallon pails are full but be prepared for some heavy lifting.