PDA

View Full Version : Taps per 1/2 pipe

tonka
10-16-2018, 07:01 PM
So when dealing with lift stations, how many taps would you guys say can one 1/2" pipe be able to handle?

fred
10-16-2018, 09:27 PM
Less than 50. Most companies don't recommend using that small anymore.

unc23win
10-16-2018, 10:09 PM
Half inch works great for lifts. I used Ts on the bottom into elbows going up into Ts pointing down on the top. I think 50 taps per T is good. If you have more than 50 just keep putting Ts in angling them down at slightly different angles seems to work well. If you search ladders and lifters you can find pictures. I have one with about 80 taps using 2 Ts and works quite well. Mine does not utilize a leak of any kind.

maple flats
10-17-2018, 09:36 AM
I'm with unc23win, for sap ladders 1/2" works well. My only experience with them however is on one ladder of about 11'. That main is 1" and at the low end of the main I have a 1/2" x 1/2" x 1" tee (the 1" is out the side. I ran the half inch ends flat out the side, and into a 90 degree ellbow, then fairly straight up to the same arrangement on the top. I then have a valve on one vertical to adjust the flow. If I ever set that up again, I'll use a valve on each vertical, mostly to periodically draw all sap up thru one to evacuate it more completely. I will not likely however change it unless some other issue causes me to address it. If you keep you leaks in check you may also want to introduce a micro leak about 30-40' upstream from the ladder and crack it open ever so slightly. If your system is not kept leak free that micro leak is not necessary and may even be counter productive. I use a tiny needle valve because I keep my leaks in check

tonka
10-17-2018, 08:00 PM
50 was kinda what I figured but I wanted to hear what some of you all had to say. If the lift station was say only around 3 ft high, would a bigger pipe work since the rise is not much or would one still run into a lot of slippage occur in the bigger pipe, say 3/4"- 1"?