PDA

View Full Version : Sap head tank lids?

DMF
10-15-2018, 01:15 PM
I have a 100 gallon CDL round bottom stainless tank that we plan to use as a head tank. Does anyone make lids for these? I can picture a mouse or something falling in this or something....

fred
10-15-2018, 10:43 PM
there are no commercially made lids. if you make one it should have a gap anyways. you want air flow over the tank.

Haynes Forest Products
10-15-2018, 10:54 PM
A cover for a 100 gallon round bottom cant be that big. I agree you want the crap out and keep it clean. Depending on your abilities you can make a cover with galvanized sheet. No different than having galvanized covers over a sap bucket.

Russell Lampron
10-16-2018, 05:32 AM
I use a tarp to cover mine.

BAP
10-16-2018, 05:50 AM
A sheet of plexiglass or plastic wallboard makes a good cover for a smaller tank. The advantage of them is they can be easily washed.

fred
10-16-2018, 05:52 AM
Laugh out loud. Because lol is too short

BAP
10-16-2018, 05:53 AM
there are no commercially made lids. if you make one it should have a gap anyways. you want air flow over the tank. if an animal does fall in, sell the sap to Vermont. if you go to new Hampshire they will buy the sap and the rat/squirrel.
Comments like these out on the internet for anyone to see creates a bad image for Maple producers and is another reason why the FDA is coming down on the Maple industry. Very inappropriate and unnecessary comment.

DMF
10-16-2018, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the answers. One more question, why do I need airflow over the tank?

Haynes Forest Products
10-16-2018, 08:16 AM
You don't and if you look at any food storage tank you will find they have a good flat seal. Most head tanks are located well above your eye level so you want the assurance that once you have cleaned it it will stay clean. I see guys with hoses held in place by the lid and big gaps and yes crap gets in so I like a good tight seal and a upper bulk head fitting for pumping into the tank. You on the right track with a good lid.

maple flats
10-16-2018, 08:41 AM
I had SS lids made for all but 2 of my tanks, they have galv. lids. Mine were made at a local tin shop. The exception is my Smoky Lake WJ bottler, it came with a nice SS cover.
As far as making sure it can allow air in, Without a seal of some kind I doubt any lid could keep air from entering.
My head tank has a fitting from the MFR that gave me a place to bring concentrate in (or sap). I also have a lid for all 3 float boxes and for the syrup pan which are used when I shut the evaporator down, and the flue pan is always covered.

BAP
10-16-2018, 08:49 AM
Basically you want it tight enough to keep anything out but not sealed so much that it creates a vacuum as the sap level goes down causing flow issues to the evaporator.

fred
10-16-2018, 12:23 PM
I guess we don't have issues with things getting in ,we keep our place clean though. I like a space between the lid to keep the warm air rising out.

johnallin
10-16-2018, 04:07 PM
I too have stainless lids for float boxes and syrup pan that I had Smoky Lake make up for me last year. They're nice - float boxes are covered all the time, syrup pan when I shut down. You may give Smoky Lake a call to see if they can make something up for you. As I recall; the price was reasonable and they're light enough that shipping was minimal.

As far as venting goes...I can see how a flat lid could restrict flow out of the tank, but a side entry for hose should allow enough air in to negate that.
Poke a hole in a bucket, fill it with water, let it drain and then see what happens when you set a piece of cardboard on top - will it slow down?
If you're running concentrate that's heated and may sit for awhile...that becomes a different story.

DMF
10-17-2018, 07:10 AM
I had Smoky Lake make covers for my pans, but I didn't even think about my float boxes. I will check with him for the tank as well.

Haynes Forest Products
10-17-2018, 08:55 AM
I have covers for my finish pans and all bulk tanks not my floats BUT I did have Jim make me up one for my CDL RO wash tank. Its nice and tight..................TO TIGHT I forgot to compensate for the bends when giving him my measurements. But it drains just fine.

maple flats
10-17-2018, 09:12 AM
I have a tight lid on my head tank, but it does not restrict air from getting in. It was not made by Smoky Lake. It just takes a good grip at 2 corners to get it up.