PDA

View Full Version : Red vs. Sugars on same lines?

DMF
10-08-2018, 10:32 AM
Hello - I know that the red maple debate has been disproven a long time ago, but my question is more about running them on the same line (3/16) as the sugar maples. Since the red's bud out first is it better to run them on separate lines or does it really matter?

Thompson's Tree Farm
10-08-2018, 11:18 AM
Put them all on the same lines

maple flats
10-08-2018, 05:09 PM
I separate mine. It varies how much they but earlier year to year, but I remove the reds while I still get anywhere from 6-7 days more on the sugars on the short end, last year it was 20 days different. The 20 days was by far the longest between the 2 since 2003 when I started to make syrup commercially. I just like being able to quickly remove the reds from the lines. When I do that I just walk the mains, cut the lateral for the red lines and plug the section of the lateral that joins the main. Then when I have time after that I pull the taps. I know exactly which laterals are reds and around my sugarhouse it only takes me about 15-20 minutes to remove reds from the system. My taps at my lease are all sugars so there is no issue there.

buckeye gold
10-08-2018, 05:26 PM
I am 85% sugars so my random reds go on the same line

DrTimPerkins
10-08-2018, 06:03 PM
I separate mine. It varies how much they but earlier year to year, but I remove the reds while I still get anywhere from 6-7 days more on the sugars on the short end, last year it was 20 days different. The 20 days was by far the longest between the 2 since 2003 when I started to make syrup commercially. I just like being able to quickly remove the reds from the lines.

Dave...What criteria do you use in deciding when to stop collecting sap from the reds?

Russell Lampron
10-08-2018, 06:48 PM
Most of my trees are reds so I mix them right in. I've never had a problem going until the end of the season with the reds still online. I always seem to run out of weather before the buds are a problem. Last season I went a week longer than some of the producers in my area that tap all sugars.

maple flats
10-08-2018, 06:55 PM
I now use when the first buds open. I used to pull the reds when I saw color on the buds. Should I wait?

Kh7722
10-08-2018, 06:56 PM
Mix them all in, in my area we all stop at the same time, the reds never really get buddy they just stop running, and by that time we are so late in the season that the syrup is not of great quality so its not worth over thinking. Just my 2 cents

Super Sapper
10-09-2018, 05:44 AM
I guess one question to ask is has anyone gotten buddy syrup from reds? I know sugars will go buddy but reading on here over the years I do not recall anyone getting buddy syrup on reds. My memory is not always the best and I am not saying it does not happen but most say that they stop running before they go buddy.

Maplewalnut
10-09-2018, 08:19 AM
I mix mine and have never had a problem. Sap stops from reds and sugars before buds open on reds.

Rockport
11-03-2018, 08:11 PM
Here in West Virginia the Reds will go buddy and ruin the syrup , I have one tree in my bush that always buds first so I keep and eye and pull my taps. I only have a few and am considering not even tapping them.The reds here are very stingy and the 3/16 will help make them run. Safety TIP ... watch out for the dead ash trees they are dead and limbs fall., I take my tractor bucket and place above me and a little pressure on the tree if I want it to go a certain way.

maple flats
11-04-2018, 07:53 AM
I guess I will stop segregating reds and sugars, and I will no longer remove the reds before the sap run is done. I sure hope you are all correct. I do have 2 or 3 silvers, I may just pull those taps when I see color on their buds.
Fortunately, my bigger bush is all sugars.

Daveg
11-13-2018, 06:36 PM
Assuming your sugar bush is randomly intermixed between the two, it would seem to be a tubing nightmare to have laterals criss-crossing one another and wasteful if one sub-area was over represented by one species versus the other, and trying to keep the number of trees on one lateral within guidelines.