PDA

View Full Version : Pump recommendations to fill head tank, 115v

Maple River Sugar
10-07-2018, 06:22 AM
I have a head tank which is 8-10 feet above the floor of my barn. I was planning on placing a 115V pump on top of my sap storage tank which would be about 5 feet above the floor, max lift 5 feet. I would like to pump my sap up to the head tank another 3-5 feet above the pump, pump would be on a float switch.

Evaporation rate is probably 40-45gph.

Head tank capacity 30 gallons.

I would assume the pump would cycle 3-4 times an hour refilling the head tank.

I would like to get a pump which is made for potable water but does not require priming. Should I consider a diaphragm style pump which seems to have very little performance given my setup or should I look at a transfer pump which requires priming and most likely is not for "potable" water?

Should I place the pump level with the valve on the bottom of the tank then use a beer style pump or suck from the tank opening on top?

Thanks in advance.

maple flats
10-07-2018, 08:25 AM
Just get a 115V diaphragm pump. It can lift up to 8 or more feet and will push several feet above that. They are for potable water. I use one to make hot water and it pumps 3.1 GPM, however it is not on a float, I just turn it on when needed, but it can be left on to turn on and off as needed. When I'm using it I turn it on and then leave it on until I'm finished needing hot water, my water heater is a tankless, instant heater.

Haynes Forest Products
10-07-2018, 09:16 AM
I will assume you want it to be automatic as can be. So get a simple high low level switch for the head tank. Get a surflow 110 volt diaphragm pump same pump as they use in campers for the water system but 110 volt. Plumb from the bottom of the tank so it always has liquid ready to go. This will be your best most reliable set up you can have. Make sure you fill the head tank from the top without any long down tube extensions that cause siphoning.

I have rigged many a system and they all had there short comings and most ended with sap on the ground or a low level of liquid in the evap.

maple flats
10-07-2018, 10:28 AM
This is the pump I use for my hot water pump https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200249074_200249074
The specs say 3.3 GPM but I get between 3.1 and 3.2 when it is pushing thru my tankless water heater and then thru 25' of 5/8" hose with a spray nozzle on it. With less restriction I might get the 3.3. In my set up it is zero lift. but the tankless heater has 1/4" tubing so that gives it some restriction. I've used it with no issues for 5 seasons. I will likely buy a spare soon, so I can just put a new one in if this one fails. I like spares.

Haynes Forest Products
10-07-2018, 12:18 PM
Now make sure you read the description of the pump. If it comes with a "on demand switch" it can cause you fits. You want strictly a pump with an on off switch otherwise it wont turn on and off with a remote level switch.

Maple River Sugar
10-07-2018, 12:25 PM
Thanks guy for the advice. Will the Shurflo be able to push sap up 10 feet?

I plan using this as my float in the open head tank, I'll invert the float. I think it will work that way.

wishlist
10-07-2018, 05:03 PM
I wouldn’t use that float , you can get a float that will work just the “ opposite “ of how a sump pump float works . You’ll also be able to adjust the on/off cycle time . Check zoro tools .

For a pump I use a Wilden AODD , same as what is used on filter presses . It’s a spare pump I had . It will last a lifetime for what we are using it for and will easily lift what you need it to do . Self priming , adjustable flow , and can run dry . I use a solenoid in the compressed air line that opens when the float is at low level .

Sureflo pumps will do a good job as well .
I’m about 20 miles east of St Johns if you need to see how mine works .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maple River Sugar
10-08-2018, 05:14 AM
That would be great to stop by and see your operation.

maple flats
10-08-2018, 05:56 AM
Yes, the Sureflo will pump up to 100' high, but it will not pull much over 10-12' dependably. It will work on a float too, even though it has a on demand switch. When the float send power to the pump it will turn on as long as there is no valve closed between the pump and the head tank. If you have a valve in that line and do not open it, the pump will think it is not to turn on because it will have the necessary pressure in the line between the pump and the valve.
However, the sureflo will not last as long as a air powered diaphragm pump. As I stated above, I've used mine for 5 (maybe 6) years without issue, but after posting that I would be buying a spare soon, I did order the spare yesterday. I also already have a replacement diaphragm if the motor runs but it does not pump. The diaphragm in it is still the original.