PDA

View Full Version : How much propane does it take to make a gallon of TO DENSITY syrup an a turkey fryer

Haynes Forest Products
09-27-2018, 08:24 AM
We all started somewhere when we first cooked our first batch of syrup. I started with a fish kettle in the driveway using wood. Others have written a check for $50,000.00 after catching the bug. So when the bug hit me I never sat down and put pen to papaer to see what was the most economical way to make a gallon of syrup. I was hell bent to make syrup whatever it took and I had a few friends helping. We stood around the driveway 3 grown men forsaking our duties to our families all in the quest for some pancake topping. We all mobilized into action like a frantic group trying to save the town from the raising river.

So from all you turkey fryer people How many BBQ grill size tanks did it take to make your first gallon?

raptorfan85
09-27-2018, 03:54 PM
My first year was on a turkey fryer with a 16x16 pan. If iI remember correctly it was about 2 tanks to finish a batch of around a half gallon, maybe a little more. I made 5 or 6 gallons my first year.

regor0
09-27-2018, 05:35 PM
Can't remember exactly how many 20lb tanks it took to make a gallon, guessing 4. I do remember it took north of 40 hours of continuous boiling to get to almost finishing stage. I had a coffee can with a hole poked in the bottom setting on top of the turkey fryer pot. I would fill it every hour day and night. Made 13 gallons that first year........good times.

WVKeith
09-29-2018, 09:07 PM
It was not that long ago. 3 tanks of propane, 2.5 gallons of syrup. But, I boiled quie a bit to finish on the kitchen electric stove

Keith

Russell Lampron
09-30-2018, 05:20 AM
My first boiling adventure was in a roasting pan on an old gas grille. I don't remember how many 20 pounders it took to make a gallon but I do remember going to Agway everyday on my lunch break to get a tank refilled. I think I could have bought a gallon of syrup for much less than I spent on the propane to make it. I made 3.5 gallons that year.

raptorfan85
09-30-2018, 07:28 AM
My first boiling adventure was in a roasting pan on an old gas grille. I don't remember how many 20 pounders it took to make a gallon but I do remember going to Agway everyday on my lunch break to get a tank refilled. I think I could have bought a gallon of syrup for much less than I spent on the propane to make it. I made 3.5 gallons that year.

I had to get a second tank so I could fill it while using the other one... The guy at tractor supply knew me by name. He thought I was heating my house with it. I don't think heating the house would have used as much lol.

Mark
09-30-2018, 11:21 AM
I had a guy borrow about 50 spouts and bags. He returned them a few days later. I was surprised since I was just getting going and he had already pulled the taps. He said it was the most expensive syrup he ever had after adding up the cost of the propane.

Haynes Forest Products
09-30-2018, 01:54 PM
Mark some people are just quitters and don't realize how much fun their having.

Russell Lampron
09-30-2018, 03:20 PM
I had to get a second tank so I could fill it while using the other one... The guy at tractor supply knew me by name. He thought I was heating my house with it. I don't think heating the house would have used as much lol.

The people at Agway got to know me too. When they found out that I was making syrup they wanted to know if I wanted to buy their 4x14 evaporator! With only 28 taps I don't think so.

Run Forest Run!
10-01-2018, 10:44 PM
For me, two 20lb tanks = one gallon of finished syrup. Every year for the past seven seasons the math is the same. Over the years the price here has ranged from $8.50 - $14 per 20 lb. tank and is always worth every penny for so much fun.