PDA

View Full Version : Close to $30 a quart....

tuckermtn
08-29-2007, 12:41 AM
My family and I were waiting to catch a ferry from Victoria, British Columbia back to Washington state....so we head over to the gift shop to get a coffee and such...my girls (8 and 5 yrs old) have a habit of checking the maple syrup displays wherever we are to see what people are selling their quarts and pints for...

I was a few feet away when I heard my 8 yr old burst out laughing...a quart of medium amber for CDN$ 29.99. The exchange rate is almost on par, so something like $28.50 USD for a quart...

Now I know there is some shipping cost involved in getting it across from Quebec, but thats a little much...my wife came over and said "now if you charged that much, you might actually make some money at sugaring"...

point taken....

hope all is well in maple country...

TapME
08-29-2007, 06:29 AM
I know that the trees in the west are bigger than here, so can you tell me how much larger the maples are and let us know if they give more sap? Just kidden. Enjoy your time in the north west.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
08-29-2007, 02:17 PM
Sams is selling the same stuff for just under $ 10 per quart!!!

ennismaple
08-30-2007, 12:27 PM
Sams is selling the same stuff for just under $ 10 per quart!!!

Yes - and you can buy wine in a bag by the gallon too. You get what you pay for.

Tourist traps always have crazy prices for syrup. Ask them how much they actually sell.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
08-30-2007, 08:35 PM
If wonder if the stuff Sams is selling is the altered stuff with enzymes like they were selling before??

super sappy
08-31-2007, 04:54 AM
The syrup probabally comes from china, made from old pesticide containers and lead paint chips. People need to suck it up and pay a little more for goods that are produced locally. I will not purchase from Walmart or sams club.-Super Sappy

ziggy
08-31-2007, 06:41 AM
What's wrong with $29.95 a quart? If we started charging what our product was worth rather than what we think the price should be we would be close to that price. One comment was how many do they sell at that price, far more than we would even imagine. I once spent a day stuck in an airport and was amazed at how much syrup and candy I saw them sell.

ennismaple
08-31-2007, 10:31 AM
Don't get me wrong - I'd love to have our syrup in another "tourist trap" - we've got one retailing our syrup right now. At the right price point they can move a LOT of syrup.

It's worth what people will pay for it.

tuckermtn
09-01-2007, 12:08 AM
What I did see moving at that tourist trap in Victoria BC was maple candy...and those little 50ml nips + candies in the gift baskets.

I think it was Parker who mentioned to me that the margins on candy are a lot better than with syrup. Thats a project for another season...

cheers-

tuckermtn