PDA

View Full Version : Spile color and sap quantity

minehart gap
09-19-2018, 08:53 PM
Last year being my first year, I tried 3 different brands of taps. One brand is clear, one brand is clear with a dark tint and one is white. I did not have flow meter on my laterals (3/16 gravity all with about 32 taps and about 15' elevation change to the first tap). I noticed that it appeared that the clear taps with the dark tint started to run earlier in the day, probably because the darker tint attracted more heat and thawed first. Also I noticed that it appeared that the clear tap laterals seem to produce more sap then the white.

Am I seeing things or has anyone else observed this? I have looked for earlier posts about this and could not find any.

What are some reasons that you have chosen the tap that you use?

Does color of the tap affect sap quantity differently if gravity is used as opposed to vacuum?

maple flats
09-20-2018, 07:08 AM
Try the Zap Bac spout, they cost more but are good for 3 seasons They are green and thus do warm slightly faster in the sun. However you should not tap all of your trees on the sunny side. Each year you want to move the tap hole 180 or 90 degrees from last year. For example, year 1=12 o'clock, 2=6 o'clock, 3=9 o'clock and then 4=3 o'clock, then 5=7:30 and work around splitting the first 4 years to tap between the old tap holes and close to 180 degrees from the year before. Had you tapped all on the sunny side in year 1 then all should be on the opposite side of the tree the next year.
Don't try to over think this, just develop a routine.Also, move the taps up and down in the tapping band, and using 3/16 and gravity vacuum you can also tap below the lateral. The main point is that where a tap was in the tree stains (compartmentalizes, the tree detects a sap leak and seals the area off, that spot will never again transport much if any sap. Eventually the tree will have enough new wood over the old hole and you can tap that area again. If your trees add 1/8" each year, in 16 years there is 2" new growth over the stain and you can tap over it, but don't drill the hole deep enough to get into the old stain. I drill about 1.5" deep and I slide a length of tubing on the drill bit as a stop. If the trees get good sun and are not over crowded the growth will usually be over 1/8" a year, a good reason to keep the woods thinned, and properly thinned trees get a larger crown and thus higher sap sugar.

Daveg
09-20-2018, 04:45 PM
I doubt if any research has been done on the tap color effect on sap output versus gravity/vacuum. Too many permutations and variables. Size and cost are the defining factors in my tap choice.

minehart gap
09-20-2018, 07:31 PM
Dave, I can't figure out how to change the thread name to spile color. Any chance you could help me with this?

I will be tapping using the best management practices that you mentioned but I can't help but think that there are advantages and disadvantages with the small details like color of taps. But maybe I am just overthinking it.

I plan to try the Zap Bac spout but already have my supplies for this year.

kevinsnieder
09-21-2018, 03:45 AM
CDL claims that you get better sap yields with the white spiles than the black ones. I forget what the exact number is but I’m thinking they said 7% more. It makes sense if you think about black spiles being warmer and bacteria liking warmth too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrTimPerkins
09-21-2018, 01:23 PM
CDL claims that you get better sap yields with the white spiles than the black ones. I forget what the exact number is but I’m thinking they said 7% more. It makes sense if you think about black spiles being warmer and bacteria liking warmth too.

Yes, that was in the 2018 CDL catalog, and it was 7% improvement with white spouts. However, I believe that study was done over only one year. Like many things, in reality....it depends (see attachment). When examined over several years you find that some years (if it is on the warm and sunny side), white may do better. In other years (when it is marginally cold and more cloudy), black will do better. Occasionally, clear will do better. If you tell me what kind of weather we'll get next year, I'll tell you what type of spout to use. :D If you tend to have a cold bush, a black spout might be a better choice. If a warm bush, then maybe a clear or white spout.

We had an article on this in the June/July 2018 Maple News.

Now with the newer spouts with different color tints....that's a whole new question. Answer so far is...it's anybody's guess. Those were not really made with color effects on yield in mind. They were made for operations with multiple people tapping, so if they found problems and they all tended to be one color...you know who needs a bit more training.

DrTimPerkins
09-21-2018, 01:28 PM
Dave, I can't figure out how to change the thread name to spile color. Any chance you could help me with this?

I fixed it for you Matt. No sweat.

Haynes Forest Products
09-21-2018, 03:26 PM
I like the ability to see what is happening right out of the tree and clear spouts let me do that. I will run across more that one with a drill chip blocking the spile barb.

Common Doc I was waiting for you to use my favorite word.

maple flats
09-21-2018, 05:57 PM
Thanks Dr. Tim, I went to change it and found you already had. Teamwork!

fred
09-21-2018, 10:31 PM
I doubt if any research has been done on the tap color effect on sap output versus gravity/vacuum. Too many permutations and variables. Size and cost are the defining factors in my tap choice.

You'd be surprised the amount of research done between Tim Perkins Tim Wilmot and Steve Childs alone, not to mention many many more.

minehart gap
09-21-2018, 11:29 PM
Thanks Dr. Tim and Dave. My phone did auto correct when I was typing the title and I didn't catch it.

Dr. Tim, you mention to tell you the weather that we will have and you can tell me what tap to use. And that a cold sugar bush may benefit from a black spile. Would it be possible that I am seeing better quality with clear taps because of the early morning sun that my sugar bush receives?