PDA

View Full Version : Spin seal

tonka
09-15-2018, 08:51 PM
Anyone see and/or deal with cdl's spin seal?

18mile
01-09-2019, 12:43 AM
I have done my last 1500 taps with spin seal. It is as good as advertised. I did not purchase the unit. My supplier installed for flat rate per nipple.

mainebackswoodssyrup
01-09-2019, 05:14 AM
The owner of the big bush we work for bought one and about 600 of the saddles. Unfortunately we haven't had the time to mess with it much other than playing with it in the shack. It works for sure, just need to have the settings right. Directions are OK, a little bit of trail and error and settings change on it as the temperature does. I think you're better off using it in the spring or fall rather than extremes during the summer and winter. We are hoping to start installing the new saddles next fall.

18mile
01-09-2019, 07:36 AM
We installed the nipples in the winter. Just to make sure there is no snow or ice on the mainline. I would never go back to traditional saddles. My leaks were almost nonexistent on the connections.

VT_K9
01-10-2019, 09:46 AM
We bought one to use last year. We are working on a new 1200 mainline and thought now would be a good time to start getting a return. Last year the expansion did not go as planned due to schedules. We did replace a 400' run of black poly with CDL blue. We used the spin seal there. We used a prototype at a demo. The final unit is a good improvement as far as the time to weld and cool (take a lot of guess work out of it). We used 2 barbs to "set" the parameters and then started the install. One this line we had a four saddles which required frequent replacement...I screwed up the install (it was my first time with saddles) and gave the line a little stretch after the saddle install. After using the spin seal we noticed our vacuum went up overall.

I would recommend the unit.

Sap Raider
01-13-2019, 07:04 AM
I own one of the spin seal tools. I bought it with the intention of using it for myself and rent the tool so to speak. I have no idea how much to charge for myself and the tool. Any ideas there??

maple flats
01-13-2019, 07:41 AM
Any of you who have used it, do you need CDL tubing? Or can it be used with other maple brands except maybe black poly?

Sap Raider
01-13-2019, 10:40 AM
I think they can be used on other mainline brands, I will check and post result some time tomorrow.

VT_K9
01-13-2019, 03:48 PM
The composition of the tubing has to be the same as the barb. I believe it is high density vs low density tubing. I know they recommend their tubing. I haven to tried any with standard black poly.

Mike

S.S.S
01-14-2019, 12:26 AM
Just heard they work great on Lapierre tubing.

Sap Raider
01-14-2019, 10:35 AM
I spoke to CDL this morning. The composition of the spin seal is the same as there mainline tubing. While it is possible to install on other brands they claim that it is possible to install there is no guarantee that they will stay there. Personally I think that most of the tubing comes from the same place with different color variations, that being said it sounds like the answer is really a no for now.

mainebackswoodssyrup
01-14-2019, 11:26 AM
I own one of the spin seal tools. I bought it with the intention of using it for myself and rent the tool so to speak. I have no idea how much to charge for myself and the tool. Any ideas there??

Check with your local CDL dealer and see what they rent the tool for by the day. Then figure out what you want to charge for your time.

We haven't tried it on black poly pipe yet but will. The directions also say it must be NEW tubing and we know that's not necessarily true. I suspect the settings may need to be adjusted when changing tubing types or manufacturers but that it will work once set right.