PDA

View Full Version : Oil burner flow rate for 2X6 evaporator

maineboiler
09-12-2018, 11:41 AM
Here's a question----------
I have a 2X6 Maple Pro evaporator which is fired by an oil burner. It presently will boil about 35 gallons an hour, depending on the level of sap I maintain. The burner is noisy and sometimes scorches the side of my sugar pan. The flow rate for the burner is 4 gall. per hour, I use #2 heating oil. I am thinking of reducing the flow rate and intensity of the burner to reduce noise and go easier on the pans. However, I don't want to increase my boiling time too much. Does anyone know what the best flow rate would be or how low I should go on this?
Thanks

raptorfan85
09-12-2018, 01:02 PM
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.leaderevaporator.com/pdf_files/leader-insulated-oil-arch.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiFxaP7hbbdAhWBON8KHVyuCxQQFjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw3sue0L9_vUlIWPOdoIKCJW

This is what leader suggests

Haynes Forest Products
09-12-2018, 03:17 PM
Mainboiler a few questions What style arch are you using and does the Evap sit on top of the rail? Secondly do you have pan gasket under the pan atop the rails. Lastly do you have gaskets or blanket between the pans both flue to finish and finish to finish/

I have a 3x10 and run about 6.5 gallons of number 2 and I run on low fire because of the concentrate. BUT is all is well and I have help to keep on top of things I can run high fire but its a rocket ship. Now I have 30 sq ft of pan and you are running 12 so I think you should look at cutting back on the oil. OH and I don't get scorching on the inside of the pans what I do get is niter build up from the flames breaching the gaskets. I also do get soot between the pans when the pans vibrate apart during normal operation...........yup my rig will vibrate ans grumble.

maineboiler
09-17-2018, 11:26 AM
I believe the arch is a Maple Pro product as well. The pans sit directly on top of the arch, there is a rim front and back and I use gaskets between the pans and the arch. I have not figured out how to get a gasket in between the flue pan and the sugar pan as they are very tight as it is. This is where the scorching occurs (and niter).
Sounds like I will need to turn down my flow to the burner.
Thanks for the help.

maineboiler
09-17-2018, 11:27 AM
Good information. Thanks-------

BRL
09-17-2018, 02:24 PM
We are converting the 2x6 arch we built last year to a reverse fired oil rig for this year. I'm getting a carlin 102 and will start at 3.0 GPH.

Haynes Forest Products
09-17-2018, 02:50 PM
I would look into getting a very thin rope gasket and get it down into the area. Your pans must be able to be slid apart and then once filled you can slide them up tight.

Urban Sugarmaker
09-17-2018, 06:25 PM
Hmm. Mine is set to 4 GPH but I haven't fired it yet. I'm thinking I will want an extra nozzle or two at lower rates for the upcoming season if 4 is too much.

Haynes Forest Products
09-17-2018, 06:56 PM
Gregg your arch and pan set are custom made for each other. I would not mess with it until you run it.

Urban Sugarmaker
09-17-2018, 07:01 PM
Gregg your arch and pan set are custom made for each other. I would not mess with it until you run it.

Good point.

Brian
09-17-2018, 07:41 PM
I run a 4x12. I have a 6 gallon nozzle on low fire and a 7 gallon on high fire. The pump pressure is 145 p.s.i. that makes it about 15 gallons of oil an hr. I run 20-23% concentrate. After the pans are sweetened I make about 40 gallons of finished syrup an hr. on the first hr. The second hr. I am up to about 60 gallons of finished syrup an hr. I run a 701 carlin burner. I also run the sap depth at an inch deep. 4x4 front revolution style and a drop flue 4x8.

maineboiler
09-19-2018, 12:48 PM
Thanks to all for the insights. I will be reducing the flow from 4 gph this season. Hopefully this will cut down on the noise as well. I an getting a new sugar pan this season and I will try to fit a gasket in between this and the back pan, but it may be too tight.
It may take a little longer to boil but I think this will be worth it if there is less scorching and I don't have to yell to be heard in the sugar shack.