PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify maker of tank

Maple River Sugar
09-12-2018, 08:23 AM
I have a chance to purchase a 250 milk tank but there is no valve. I wanted to get an idea of the availability and the price of a valve before I go any further. But first I will need the tank identified. I thought it was a Dari Kool.

maple flats
09-12-2018, 11:37 AM
I own a Mueller that looks like that. For a valve, I get mine from https://www.brewershardware.com/Sanitary-Fittings/
I identify the threads and get an adapter to convert to Tri Clover type. Then you can get a good 1.5" SS valve for $47.00 and convert from there to any fitting or pipe you want. They seem to have the best prices I've found and stock all of the sizes.
Trying to go with a milk trank valve will run you 2-4x that, maybe more.

BAP
09-12-2018, 11:53 AM
Threads for the valve are a fairly standard milk sanitary thread. Any place that sells parts for milk equipment should have it. Just need to know the diameter of the pipe.

Maple River Sugar
09-12-2018, 12:35 PM
I own a Mueller that looks like that. For a valve, I get mine from https://www.brewershardware.com/Sanitary-Fittings/
I identify the threads and get an adapter to convert to Tri Clover type. Then you can get a good 1.5" SS valve for $47.00 and convert from there to any fitting or pipe you want. They seem to have the best prices I've found and stock all of the sizes.
Trying to go with a milk trank valve will run you 2-4x that, maybe more.

Maple Flats, where would I go to find an adapter? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

maple flats
09-13-2018, 08:39 PM
Hamby Dairy or I think even Brewer's Hrdware might have them. Give them a call. If not, try Hamby Dairy.

minehart gap
09-14-2018, 08:37 AM
The fitting appears to be an acme fitting (about 2" at a guess, compared to the beer can in the photo). The nut should be available on line or at any milking equipment store.
I like to go directly to a more user friendly system like tri-clamp.https://www.gvc.net/p/971/tri-clamp-x-acme-thread-adapters. Then you can do about whatever you need to do.

Haynes Forest Products
09-14-2018, 03:46 PM
Looks like they cut the outer skin off the tank. :mad:

maple flats
09-14-2018, 04:04 PM
At a tank size of about 250 gal I'd think the valve will be a 1.5". I have 6 tanks that are milk type tanks, up to 1000 gal , with the smallest being 200 gal and all are 1.5" valves. I think as the size of the tank gets towards 800 or 1000 gal some may be 1.5" and others 2", as they get even bigger the valves get larger. I have 2 Surge tanks, one a vacuum tank, one not vacuum, they both have 1.5" valves. I have seen others in the 1000 gal range with 2" valves, but never one that is just 250 gal.
I think the larger tanks get a bigger size so the larger volume of milk can be pumped out faster.
While the outside measurement on the threads will not measure 1.5" it very likely will measure less than 2" diameter. Once you get the adapter and a nut to attach it, then convert to Tri Clover type you can use anybodies valve. All 1.5" tri Clover are interchangeable. Be sure to order a seal for each joint and I like to get a few spares. With Tri Clover you will find many size combinations from small flange to 1.5" and large to 1.5", just be sure to stay all the same. That way all will use the same size seal (gasket) and clamp.

maple flats
09-14-2018, 04:04 PM
At a tank size of about 250 gal I'd think the valve will be a 1.5". I have 6 tanks that are milk type tanks, up to 1000 gal , with the smallest being 200 gal and all are 1.5" valves. I think as the size of the tank gets towards 800 or 1000 gal some may be 1.5" and others 2", as they get even bigger the valves get larger. I have 2 Surge tanks, one a vacuum tank, one not vacuum, they both have 1.5" valves. I have seen others in the 1000 gal range with 2" valves, but never one that is just 250 gal.
I think the larger tanks get a bigger size so the larger volume of milk can be pumped out faster.
While the outside measurement on the threads will not measure 1.5" it very likely will measure less than 2" diameter. Once you get the adapter and a nut to attach it, then convert to Tri Clover type you can use anybodies valve. All 1.5" tri Clover are interchangeable. Be sure to order a seal for each joint and I like to get a few spares. With Tri Clover you will find many size combinations from small flange to 1.5" and large to 1.5", just be sure to stay all the same. That way all will use the same size seal (gasket) and clamp.

Sunday Rock Maple
09-14-2018, 08:16 PM
Fernco coupling < $10

BAP
09-15-2018, 06:47 AM
Tanks that old usually used 1-1/2” valves. That used to be the industry’s standard in that time period.