PDA

View Full Version : Spark catcher at the base of the arch stack

Johnjenner
08-29-2018, 10:48 AM
I would like to put a piece of screen/mesh at the base of my arch stack to catch some of the sparks. Wondering what size is the best to use. 1/4 inch mesh? What material? Stainless? Again your help is greatly appreciated

Bricklayer
08-29-2018, 11:23 AM
I've tried many different configurations over the last couple years. And putting a screen at the base of the stack was the worst thing I ever did.
Its works well until it gets clogged with chunks of burning wood (sparks) and you are mid boil and have your shut down. Tear the stack down and clean screen.
The best way I came up with was a Chinese hat style chimney cap with 1/4 stainless screen. I give it a tap ever couple hours and it never gets clogged. But it would if you left it.
Mine glows cherry red at the top most if the time too. So I'm sure that helps keep it from clogging.

Johnjenner
08-29-2018, 11:39 AM
Great info. I was thinking the same thing about it clogging. How tall is the screened cap. I was thinking of making one 12-16 inches. Is that reasonable. Did you make it out of stainless?

Bricklayer
08-29-2018, 02:48 PM
It is stainless. It was originally on my insulated chimney for my woodstove before I replaced it. It's 8" and I left it up as high as I could. You could even make one out of just screen if need be.
I just like the cap on top because it deflects the sparks down and they stay in the stack. You can hear them pinging off it when the blower is really going.
Some sparks still get out but not as crazy as it is without it.

VT_K9
08-29-2018, 05:29 PM
We ran one on our 2x6 WSE for a few years. It was stainless steel and one screen lasted three years and will likely last another couple. To the best of my knowledge it never clogged during the season and was reasonably clear at the end of the year.

I like it better than the screen at the top. We found let sparks made it out of the stack. We constantly had 800-900 degrees in the stack with a few times getting over 1000 degrees.

I think it may depend on wood used. We used dry hemlock and pine. Very little to no hardwood.

Mike

cjf12
08-29-2018, 06:45 PM
We had one at the base this past year. Miserable pig. Plugged and allowed my stack to creosote up. Had to reach in the back to beat it with a pipe wrench and then a quick scrub with a wire brush before my hand caught on fire. A VERY long boil. All night. Enough time for a shower just to head back to work. A VERY long night. Promptly ripped it out as soon as i got home from work THEN went and got some sleep. I think i would rather fight the forest fire i may cause than use that again. Your welcome to mine if you want to try it. 3x8 leader is what it came off of.