PDA

View Full Version : Float activated gas pump

TylerMcT
08-26-2018, 11:52 AM
Here’s my situation;

I have a remote section of trees 800-1000 taps (no hydro) at the bottom of a gully. My idea is to have a electric start gas engine that will be wired to a float switch to turn on once the tank if full to pump the sap up to the landing where I can access it with a truck.

In my head it sounds like a good idea I am just wondering if anyone has done something similar my concerns are getting it to start when cold.

maple flats
08-26-2018, 02:33 PM
I haven't done that, but my suggestion is to run a drain line from just after the pump back into the suction line and have the pump set at least a foot above the bottom of the tank you are pumping from. That should prevent the pump from freezing and not turning over when the tank is full because it still has some ice in the pump housing. That drain could be just a 5/16 line to drain back.

maple flats
08-26-2018, 02:47 PM
I also suggest you look into a propane fired engine, far more dependable than gasoline. (No I do not own stock in any propane company).

calvertbrothers
09-29-2019, 08:35 PM
Here’s my situation;

I have a remote section of trees 800-1000 taps (no hydro) at the bottom of a gully. My idea is to have a electric start gas engine that will be wired to a float switch to turn on once the tank if full to pump the sap up to the landing where I can access it with a truck.

In my head it sounds like a good idea I am just wondering if anyone has done something similar my concerns are getting it to start when cold.
I’m in a similar situation here did you end up making this work?