PDA

View Full Version : Elevating an evaporator arch

Johnjenner
08-22-2018, 08:49 PM
Another question from the newbie. I have a 2x6 leader wse and i have seen pics of people elevating the arch with regular cement blocks. Since it is Just where the ashes accumulate is it ok to use cement blocks or do You have to use firebrick? I am considering doing an 8 inch block raise. Do You mortar them in or Just leave them on the cement floor? Thanks in advance for any advise and and pics would be great

Haynes Forest Products
08-22-2018, 10:24 PM
I assume your going to use the solid blocks?? I would use them for the floor and yes they will get hot and the ashes will insulate them. I believe its no different than having the heat on your slab. I think that you will have less cracking in the cement floor keeping the heat away causing spider cracks.

maple flats
08-23-2018, 06:15 AM
When I had a 2x6 and still had a wood floor, I raised the arch on 8 x 16" blocks and not the solid ones. I just laid them so the solid surface was up. I also, because of the wood floor at the time, made a raised hearth in front too, it was 4' wide x 32" front to back and then the part under the fire was just 24" wide. I covered it with 20 ga galv. sheet metal on both the hearth and under the arch fire portion. It was like that for 3 seasons, then I put in the concrete floor and got my 3x8 evaporator. When I removed the sheet metal and uncovered the blocks, they still looked like new. For the sheet metal I had a 1" or so lip bent down to hold it in place. If you have a concrete floor already, you do not need the hearth, but I suggest you cap the blocks with sheet metal.

buckeye gold
08-23-2018, 07:01 AM
I have a wood floor and I elevated my arch 4" with concrete backer board under the arch, around and a hearth in front. I also keep a piece of sheet metal laid on the hearth just to insure against hot coals falling out. I have checked and it is never more than warm. I also have my firebox completely insulated and bricked.

Chicopee Sap Shack
08-23-2018, 10:18 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180823/7f53df7305d6e6418ccbd629ec0a55b6.jpg
I elevated my old arch with cinder blocks then brick to dress it up. There will be minimal heat on the blocks as heat rises and the majority of the heat is well above the blocks. Also the ashes once cold will insulate the block. Just run the solid flat under the arch not the hollow cells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk