PDA

View Full Version : Steel inside sugarhouse

Kh7722
08-22-2018, 04:10 PM
Hey all

Last year i was dead set on a timberframe sugarhouse, which is not completely out but am now leaning tword a post frame structure. I definitely think that a post frame would be more affordable in the size im going for which is 18x28 with a 8’ lean-to off one side for storage tank. My question is do many people out there have steel barn type siding on the inside of sugarhouse? I love the look of it, know its great to clean and all the good things about it, but want to know the cons. The main thing im worried about is when im boiling is it going to “rain “ inside? And how can this be prevented? I will definitely have a hood over pan but would like to leave front pan open on sides, just dont want totally enclosed front.
Thanks

Maple Man 85
08-22-2018, 04:46 PM
Steam hoods and stacks are pretty much a requirement for this type of sugarhouse otherwise yes it will rain in your sugarhouse. The flue pan hood I leave lowered and syrup pan hood I can raise up to two feet before steam starts to become a problem.1875818759

steam maker
08-22-2018, 06:24 PM
maple man is it insulated behind the metal on the walls? on the ceiling ?

Maple Man 85
08-22-2018, 08:38 PM
Yes, I insulated the walls and ceiling. I used R19 for the walls and R30 for the ceiling. In the off season I take the interior portion of the stacks down and place insulation in the holes to keep heat in in the winter.

maple man is it insulated behind the metal on the walls? on the ceiling ?