PDA

View Full Version : Removing milk tank with legs cemented in floor

Maplewalnut
08-08-2018, 02:08 PM
Hey guys,

I remember a thread but cant find it about removing a milk tank that has its legs cemented into the floor. Is it as simple as a sledge hammer? Any tricks? I am hoping it is just a skim layer to keep the tank level but you never know.

Thanks
Mike

DrTimPerkins
08-08-2018, 02:40 PM
Many tanks I've seen only have a small amount of cement around the base to prevent them from shifting. You should be able to hit the cement around the base of the legs a few times with a pinch bar and then try leveraging it up a bit at each corner. Most likely it'll come free pretty easily unless they did something unusual.

whity
08-08-2018, 02:42 PM
Sawzall the legs off flush to the concrete.

PerryFamily
08-08-2018, 03:20 PM
Maybe just run around each led with a hammer drill to break up the Crete .

DrTimPerkins
08-08-2018, 03:23 PM
Good thread on moving a milk tank here http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?9630-How-to-move-a-milk-tank

We used planks across the base and some pipe as rollers. Backed up to the door (with a step over entrance) and winched it right onto the trailer. Only took two of us...probably could have done it with one with a little more time and thinking.

We were planning to put it up in our overhead area of the sugarhouse (we have two steel beams spanning the outer walls). We'd figured out a plan, but two of us went on vacation. By the time we got back the third guy had figured out an easy way and winched it up with chain-falls all by himself.....just go slow and think ahead.

Haynes Forest Products
08-08-2018, 10:35 PM
My tanks have threaded legs that are NPT so cutting off at the cement and replacing would be the easy method.

Brian
08-09-2018, 06:31 AM
The cement around the legs will break easy. The tanks are calibrated for the farmer and dairy co. the cement will brake up with little effort. The legs turn and are adjustable. I use a 5 pound hammer and an iron bar and floor jacks with inch board on the jack not to hurt the tank.

Buddy 58
08-09-2018, 06:41 AM
I have moved a lot of milk tanks over the years . The concrete around the legs will break with a few whacks with any hammer . I have never seen legs below concrete floor . Next , almost all older milk houses will have a knock out wall or door wide enough to move tank through . Next , get two 6x6 as long as the tank , measure center of legs , length wise . Most legs are 2 inch dia. Drill holes for legs 2-3 inch down , couple wood blocks and a good bar , lift tank some to set tank on skids . Tanks are easy to shift around with a good bar to position for any good tow strap or chain . Pull them right out with pickup . Cable come along or chain winch for loading on trailer . Also its nice if their is a tractor with a loader on it . Just moved one home from a Amish barn , pull it out with horses under a tree limb , chain hoist . In the back of my pickup . Its for sale if any body is looking . 600 gallon Delaval . nice shape .

Maplewalnut
08-09-2018, 07:42 AM
Thanks all for the thoughts. Going next weekend to pick up, I'll report back with what I find to close the story for others to use in future.

Thanks Dr Tim- that's the thread I was thinking of, an oldey but goody.

maple2
08-11-2018, 06:44 AM
we have several bulk tanks ranging from 400 to 1300gals. We move them around by wrapping a chain around the agitator moter and lifting with a loader

Maplewalnut
08-20-2018, 01:28 PM
We wound up cutting the legs off at the floor. Previous owner chipper one leg free and the concrete was about 3 inches deep. No thanks. cut them off with a sawzall, pulled it out of the milking parlor , put a strap in one agitator hole and out the other, lifted it with a loader and put it on a trailer.