PDA

View Full Version : filter option?

thomashansen871
07-30-2018, 06:28 PM
I am wondering if anyone has looked into using one of these for filtering before.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076PP9DW8/?coliid=I1Z0DPR58YIWCN&colid=1S9PCFFD33XIA&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I am looking for a filter that is reusable when transferring from my big pan, to my finishing pot. does anyone think this would work?

maple flats
07-30-2018, 07:09 PM
At 50 micron it would get some but very little sugarsand.

Haynes Forest Products
07-30-2018, 09:00 PM
My take is it will get the big chunks but wont clear up your syrup. Plus you don't give us much to work with. Is your big pan 10 gallons or 70 gallons. Now if you trickeled hot syrup into the filter at a very slow rate allowing it to build up the crud at the bottom it will help BUT I believe if you fill it up it will clog and then you have a mess on your hands....................Pun intended. Its way smaller than you think and if the plan is to filter 5 gallons of syrup your optimistic.

thomashansen871
07-31-2018, 07:33 PM
I am not exactly sure on the capacity, it is 6'x3'x5". i made the pan myself. i have been cooking it to almost done in the big pan, then transferring it into a pot to finish it. i do filter it at both transitions, but i am looking for something else aside from the throw away coffee filters from the big pan to pot. i have really clear syrup, but looking to rid it of the little sand i am getting. i am saving up to get a filter pump 2020 season, as i do not think i will be able to swing it this year, unless i sell the rest of my reserves before then.

Super Sapper
08-01-2018, 05:58 AM
Your pan holds 11.2 gallons per inch. possibly use a little DE on your final filtering.