PDA

View Full Version : DIY a sap trailer

reck9953
07-17-2018, 10:08 AM
I have a 45 hp 4wd tractor I’d like to use to collect sap. Any ideas on how to make a trailer to haul a collection tank. Thanks just looking for ideas...

buckeye gold
07-17-2018, 01:46 PM
I took a set of hay forks that are 3 pt hitch and built a wood cart on them and it holds a 250 tank. You'll need some front end weight, but it works great. You can raise and lower it and no pulling a trailer through mud.

Russell Lampron
07-17-2018, 05:52 PM
I built a trailer originally for cordwood. I made it out of an old truck frame and front axle. I put a plywood deck on it and strap my 325 gallon collection tank on it and my 52 HP tractor pulls it very nice. The Model AA doodlebug has a little trouble in mud and deep snow but it pulls it good other than that.

maple flats
07-18-2018, 08:12 AM
What is your land like, hills, bogs when frosts is coming out, snow condition in a rather high snow winter/spring etc? My thought is to carry it if possible. Over the years I've carried it two ways, my first year I hauled it in 5 gal jugs, carrying up to 50 gal on the 3 pt hitch using a carry-all. The next year I used the same carry-all but used a 125 gal plastic tank, both were on the back of a 20 HP 4x4 compact diesel. In year 3 I got a heavier 3 pt carrier and put a 165 gal tank on it. That went on a 25HP 4x4 diesel tractor, but while I have some rather wet land in spots, I made good woods roads and did not need to drive thru any muddy areas.
To carry much sap at over 8#/gal you will need good weight on the front of any large tank full. If your 45 gal tractor has a loader on the front, you can carry weight in the bucket if needed, your 45 hp tractor is larger than one I ever used for sap, but in wet conditions over the years I've pulled a medium size trailer with a 60 HP 4x4 tractor, hauling firewood blocks of about 1.5 cord and it made some deep ruts at times. If at all possible carry the load and the tractor will be much better.

ennismaple
07-18-2018, 12:02 PM
We have a 525 gallon poly tank on a hay wagon frame. It takes full size transport truck tires so it has lots of ground clearance for when the snow is still deep or there's lots of mud. We run a 60 HP tractor that is 2 wheel drive with trig chains and it can get wherever we need it to go.

Windy Acres
07-19-2018, 02:27 AM
This is the trailer we have been using for the past few years, it is a little light for the job, so this year we are making a trailer out of the back half of a hay wagon running gear, with a little bit wider implement tires18701

reck9953
07-19-2018, 06:06 AM
Are you saying that you use a tank that hooks up to the 3 point hitch? I have a loader bucket.

thomashansen871
08-19-2018, 05:24 PM
i was given an old manure spreader, i ripped off all of the original metal and welded in some 1 1/2" square tubing and put a 250 gallon poly tote on it,