PDA

View Full Version : Does slowing it down speed it up

Haynes Forest Products
06-19-2018, 10:34 AM
I have toyed with the idea of just taking my entire pan set and and spinning it around so the flue pan is over the combustion chamber. Then I had thoughts of moving the oil gun to the back of the combustion chamber and blast it forward. I would in essence be putting it where on a wood fired forced air blower would go.

I"m sure it has been done successfully I just haven't seen anyone post about the results. I like making things in the shop just for ****s and giggles and have seen things work just fine and others were sent to the scrap heap. Its always about having the time or wanting to spend the money. Pulling my rig apart and lifting the flue pan takes 4 guys so its not something I can just up and do willy nilly. Now maybe with cooling the concentrate I will have the time to see what will happen.

Now to the name of the thread.........Would I slow the boil of the finish pans down to a slower more controlled Caramelization speeding things up? Do I care if I make near syrup in the flue pan as long as the final density is still done under slower conditions? I know I know CHUCK put some clothes on and get off the couch and get to work for Gods sake.

Potters3
06-19-2018, 03:01 PM
I know Leader and I think Lapierre make arches with the oil gun in the back.
Have seen the leader run, very very even boil in the front pan.

Haynes Forest Products
06-19-2018, 03:36 PM
Potter when you say even in the front pan. I consider my finish pans to be the front. My 2 finish pans with 2 channels each are very even. They all look and act differently because of the density of the near syrup. But on the other side of the float box is a different story. I haven't changed out the nozzles to see if getting the flame farther down range would help without then losing it under the finish pans and maybe that could be a good thing.

Potters3
06-20-2018, 03:14 PM
In theory with the burner in the back pointed to the front. the flame goes forward and has to curl back to get to the smoke stack. Supposed to add to flame coverage and some efficiency.

Potters3
06-20-2018, 03:16 PM
Some of the oil rigs I have seen have a hot center, cooler outside compartments in the syrup pan ( non crossflow), and ripping flue pan. I keep going to look at oil set ups. Our years of 20-25 cords of wood are coming to a end. Age and the day job is making it harder to keep up.

Haynes Forest Products
06-20-2018, 03:46 PM
Thanks Potters I have cross flow finish pans but there flat so boil is equal throughout. Having an RO made oil possible at a reasonable rate. I guys that get wood from their commercial saw mill and they still spend a lot of time cutting to length and loading wagons. Then there is the baby sitting the rig after shut down and then cleaning is quicker because you can get to it sooner.

steam maker
06-20-2018, 04:19 PM
i watched a 4 by 14 cdl oil rig run seemed really even thru all 4 sections of front pans and the back pan was hammering , think its probly all in proper setup??

DrTimPerkins
06-21-2018, 06:57 AM
Proper tuning makes a big difference. Have an evaporator tech come out and adjust the burner for the boil you desire. Then resist the urge to fiddle with it.