PDA

View Full Version : Shur flo method

markr
06-08-2018, 11:32 AM
Another question I have when using the shur flo method is there a height that is to high when tapping a tree to get the optimum natural vac

Haynes Forest Products
06-08-2018, 03:51 PM
Im sure there is a study that looks at tapping high and then low. Then there is the consideration of tapping low keeping mainlines down verses tapping high and having better slope. Then we cant forget that some years the snow is high and then low. Don't forget that the sap is sucked up into the tree and then pushed out during the warm up so high ain't so bad but lower is better. Will a high vacuum pump do better on the down low or lower vacuum pump be better on the up high. We all strive for the higher vacuum with bigger HG's so hang in there but not from to high a perch.

But seriously, I run my lines 6' high in the woods and end at the ground near my releaser and that would work for a Sur-flow. I also considered what things would work with 2' of snow.

RileySugarbush
06-08-2018, 09:08 PM
According to Dr. Perkins, tapping high to gain slope on natural vac is counteracted by reduced pressure inside the tree, so not a significant help.

markr
06-09-2018, 06:14 AM
I have read that as well, but how high is to high? Thanks for any help