PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning your lines on shur flo

markr
06-07-2018, 06:10 AM
My partner and are are planning on going with the shur flo method next year put we are wondering how how we clean our lines at the end of the year

Biz
06-07-2018, 01:07 PM
Here's how I did it - all short runs of 3/16 tubing, 3/16 or 5/16 drops, 20-40 taps per run on a shurflo pump or gravity. I am not sure it is the best or most effective way but here is what I did this past season. At least I know that there is no old sap left in the line to spoil, only a very dilute bleach solution.

1. Connect Shurflo pump and turn on. Lines should be intact and a good vacuum is built up.
2. Prepare a bucket of water with very small amount of bleach. About a capful or two per gallon.
3. Start at top of line, remove tap from tree.
4. Dip in bucket for about 20 seconds. You should see the liquid suck into the drop.
5. Pull out of bucket, wait for liquid to clear our of drop, and secure tap into cup in tee. It should not leak. Might need to twist slightly. I use the CDL tees with the cup. If you use the pin type you can cut tap off and insert on pin.
6. Repeat for each tap.
7. When all are done, remove end tap and let pump run for a while to suck any remaining fluid out. You will never get everything out.

You might need a recirculation line on the pump so that vacuum doesn't drop as it sucks air in. The Shurflo pumps won't pull good vacuum when running dry.
If you are worried about the dilute bleach solution, you can repeat the process with rinse water. But it takes twice as long.
Let sap run on the ground for a day when new taps are installed next season, to flush everything out.

Dave

markr
06-07-2018, 04:50 PM
Thanks that gives me a start

maple flats
06-07-2018, 07:25 PM
The steps are good as shown above, but I prefer food grade hydrogen peroxide. Squirrels love the salts left behind when you use bleach, but H2O2 leaves just water and oxygen. Food grade is by far best because medical grade has additives (preservatives) which are not good in a food product.

markr
06-07-2018, 09:29 PM
Thanks from the info

RileySugarbush
06-07-2018, 09:52 PM
I second the use of peroxide. But I reverse the flow and pump into the line at the bottom with the shurflo. Then from bottom of line I pull the tap until it flows out and plug into the tee. Move up the line This lets the h2o2 to sit in contact in the drop.

maple flats
06-08-2018, 06:31 AM
That would work well as long as you don't exceed the head of the pump (it's max ability to push to a higher elevation).

Biz
06-08-2018, 07:48 AM
I second the use of peroxide. But I reverse the flow and pump into the line at the bottom with the shurflo. Then from bottom of line I pull the tap until it flows out and plug into the tee. Move up the line This lets the h2o2 to sit in contact in the drop.

Nice, sounds like a good way to get a longer soak and do a better job of cleaning. How long do you let the peroxide sit in the line? Do you go back later and pull taps to drain the lines?

I take down my lines every year so no issues with squirrel chews off season.

Dave

Haynes Forest Products
06-08-2018, 08:30 AM
If I were taking my lines down every year that makes it a different ball game.

Fighting gravity to clean lines is the biggest obstacle, second is walking the woods. I would roll up the lines into 4'rolls with taps off and bring back to the back yard. I would make up a simple pressure vessel that you could hook up to the end of the line. Old beer keg' 6 " PVC pipe with air chuck whatever works and fill with cleaner and connect to tubing. pump up to whatever makes you happy. As the cleaner starts to flow out the taps cap they until the next one squirts. Do this until the last one and then start over with rinse water. Then clear the liquid with air and store in cool dry area. Now they ain't sterile and if you use air from a oil type compressor there can be residue.

wiam
06-08-2018, 02:56 PM
If I were taking my lines down every year that makes it a different ball game.

Fighting gravity to clean lines is the biggest obstacle, second is walking the woods. I would roll up the lines into 4'rolls with taps off and bring back to the back yard. I would make up a simple pressure vessel that you could hook up to the end of the line. Old beer keg' 6 " PVC pipe with air chuck whatever works and fill with cleaner and connect to tubing. pump up to whatever makes you happy. As the cleaner starts to flow out the taps cap they until the next one squirts. Do this until the last one and then start over with rinse water. Then clear the liquid with air and store in cool dry area. Now they ain't sterile and if you use air from a oil type compressor there can be residue.

If I was taking down lines I would wash after removing also. I do not take down or wash. I turn on vacuum pump and pull taps. I see no more residue in the lines now than when I washed with air/water or peroxide.

RileySugarbush
06-08-2018, 09:14 PM
I have no idea if what I am doing is best, but I let the peroxide sit for an hour or so, then drain the lines, pull them down. Then I put an air chuck on the lower end and blow them dry with an oil free air compressor, cutting the spiles off since I will be replacing them next year.. Once dry, I store them in clean totes. Way easier to re string them without spiles catching on everything in the spring.

Haynes Forest Products
06-09-2018, 10:41 AM
You boys that take down your lines are a special breed. I get mad enough just ripping down old lines and walking them out of the woods. Its amazing how one stupid little smart spout can bring a grown man to a dead stop walking in the woods. Its right up there with having your wife take 10 Bungee cords at Tractor supply and throw them in the empty shopping cart :o Thanks honey.

RileySugarbush
06-09-2018, 12:58 PM
There is way to much going on in our woods year round to think of leaving them up. Plus it's only half the bush on tubing and only about 4 acres at that. I agree it's a pain though.

DocsMapleSyrup
06-11-2018, 09:31 PM
I'm with Wiam. I pull my taps and let the sap drain out. No cleaning. No problems. My lines don't have any sags to hold sap/moisture so there is no mold. I don't put my taps in the cups either, I let them dangle in the air as I don't want to any moisture vapor in the lines.

Goatogether
04-27-2021, 09:44 PM
Has anyone tried vinegar/ water solution? Thanks