PDA

View Full Version : When things come crashing down

Haynes Forest Products
05-23-2018, 12:49 AM
So i'm working on a project in my garage and had a trailer full of sheet steel. I also was having a bigger drive way poured so after having the 4 sheets of 1/8 thick 6 ft X 8 ft steel leaned up against the shelves in the garage I went to work while the guys finished the cement. Well my son called me and said get home Mom tried to move the steel away from the shelves to get a broom.:o He didn't sound all that upset but said she is hurt so I hug up the phone headed home. I called him back and asked how bad is she hurt and he said they called 911 and an ambulance was on its way. I called a few neighbors and rallied the troops and kicked it up a notch and when I got home the garage was full of firemen and paramedics neighbors and a few guys from the cement company. Well she thought she could just lean it back a sneak and grab the broom. Yea the sheets came down pushing her backwards with the corners leaving a nice scratch down her front until the edges hit her knee slapping her down onto the ground. pinning her foot under the sheet. My son was able to get the metal up and she rolled out into the new driveway.

So the short story is she has a few fractures in her foot and she left a lasting impression in the driveway. She is still talking to me and is now walking around in a walking cast :-| I know this isn't maple related but as usual nothing is ever easy around me. So this weekend I'm hooking up my mobile dog house and go into the mountains and give her some space.

mainebackswoodssyrup
05-23-2018, 05:56 AM
Scary, glad to hear she's OK. Could have been worse. Good thought on leaving for the weekend!

Super Sapper
05-23-2018, 11:47 AM
I'm glad to hear it wasn't worse, actually pretty mild with you being involved. The wife and I will be arriving in Colorado Springs on June 4th for vacation. I'll give you a call and see what you recommend for places to visit and places to help avoid an ER visit.

Bob

Haynes Forest Products
05-23-2018, 01:41 PM
Thanks super sapper. Give the royal gorge a try and then look up the petrified forest tour and drive the hog back all in Colorado springs area.

Russell Lampron
05-23-2018, 07:09 PM
Wow Chuck your wife is lucky she didn't get hurt worse than she did.

SS I don't know where Colorado Springs is in relation to Pikes Peak but if you have a chance to go to Pikes Peak, drive up the auto road it's worth the trip.

Haynes Forest Products
05-23-2018, 11:17 PM
I have lived here 38 years and have never made the trip up to the top of Pikes Peak. I see it every day but never made the trip.:emb: Just drive west and you will have a blast.

maple flats
05-24-2018, 08:38 AM
I went up Pike's Peak in 1960, the view was excellent. We rode up in a limo, the hairpin turns required the limo to do a 5-7 point turn on the tighter ones.

Haynes Forest Products
05-24-2018, 11:32 PM
Might just have to take the wife up there.:o

Russell Lampron
05-25-2018, 05:16 AM
Might just have to take the wife up there.:o

I've only been to Colorado once and it turned out to be the highlight of the trip. The brewery tours and other things that I did couldn't compare.

Super Sapper
05-25-2018, 05:48 AM
It is on the agenda. They discontinued the train going up to pikes peak, you didn't have anything to do with that did you Chuck? Stopping in Kansas City to sample the barbeque on the way out. It should be a great trip.

Haynes Forest Products
05-25-2018, 08:21 AM
SS I have a sister in Kansas City area and its a cool old town if you can grasp that its not in Kansas. Find some joint out some back road.

motowbrowne
05-25-2018, 11:53 AM
SS I have a sister in Kansas City area and its a cool old town if you can grasp that its not in Kansas. Find some joint out some back road.

Back roads are always the best place for smoking a joint, err, I mean a smoking joint.

Z/MAN
05-27-2018, 10:42 PM
The drive up Pikes Peak is fantastic. Hayes, I can't believe you have never been up there. I hear that they paved the road a few years back, I liked when it was dirt.

Russell Lampron
05-28-2018, 05:30 AM
The drive up Pikes Peak is fantastic. Hayes, I can't believe you have never been up there. I hear that they paved the road a few years back, I liked when it was dirt.

Yes the road is paved. I still can't get over the fact that it's 20 miles long. It takes a lot of twist and turns to climb 14,115 feet. I was there in late October and the grass was brown instead green which would have made the view that much better. We could see the smoke from a building that was on fire in a location that was 50 miles away that day.

maple flats
09-16-2018, 07:53 AM
I wonder if the mountain is 5' taller or if my memory has shrunk. I was thinking the sign in 1960 said the peak was at 14,110'.

heus
09-16-2018, 08:13 AM
Thanks super sapper. Give the royal gorge a try and then look up the petrified forest tour and drive the hog back all in Colorado springs area.
Chuck sorry about your wife. On another note...
I didn't know you rode. Maybe some summer I could ride the Harley out to Wisconsin and we could go riding.