PDA

View Full Version : stainless taps.

dark mountain maple
05-20-2018, 03:29 PM
who makes the best stainless taps on the market for buckets and vacuum lines.

PerryFamily
05-20-2018, 07:12 PM
No body
don't waste your time, go with seasonal one time use.

johnallin
05-21-2018, 12:39 PM
I've used these with good success for about 4 years now. Boil em' before ea season with no problems at all.
http://sapmeister.com/

mainebackswoodssyrup
05-21-2018, 01:04 PM
We removed and replaced 5400 stainless CDL taps from a bush 4 years ago because they had been used for way too many years without any cleaning or replacement. We ended up replacing them all with the white smartspouts but that was the owner's decision, not ours. If you do want the stainless taps indefinitely, do as John suggests and plan on removing them every year to thoroughly clean and sterilize. Maybe have enough for 2 sets so that in the fall or prior to tapping, you can replace previous year taps with cleaned ones and clean the other set in the off season. Not sure how cost effective it is in the long run to go stainless but just realize they will require some thorough cleaning and time spent to remove the old tubing from the tap every year to compare to a new tap.

Michael Greer
05-23-2018, 07:24 AM
I've acquired nearly 500 of the Sapmeister stainless taps with bucket hooks and I'll never go back. These taps are straight and easy to clean and can be scrubbed and boiled as clean as surgical equipment. I'll have them for the rest of my life.

mainebackswoodssyrup
05-23-2018, 07:56 AM
If anyone is interested in some of the 5400 taps we removed, let me know. I am pretty sure he still has them. They have the tubing on them and need to be cleaned. But I am sure they could be yours for pretty cheap.

dark mountain maple
05-24-2018, 09:06 PM
How long have you been in operation, and how big is your sugar bush/sugar house.

thanks

Lee.

mainebackswoodssyrup
05-24-2018, 09:24 PM
Lee, I got your email and replied. Our operation is only 400 taps but we do the woods work in a 5400 tap bush that was set up originally in 2006. That is where the stainless taps came from. Not sure we have all 5400 still but definitely several thousand if he didn’t get rid of them. And knowing him they are somewhere in the sugar house. I will check tomorrow.

dark mountain maple
05-30-2018, 03:35 PM
Is there anyone else that's selling used stainless taps in your area or on the forum.