PDA

View Full Version : Building a hood

Johnjenner
05-19-2018, 07:36 PM
So I Bought a 2x6 leader wse last week. Now I need to build a hood. Any issues with building a hood from galvanized? My grampa was a sheet metal worker so I have a bunch of old ductwork. Just trying to save some money. Any suggestions would be appreciated

jmayerl
05-19-2018, 08:03 PM
Much better off to spend $100 on a sheet of aluminum that won't rust. Mine is on year 7 and looking good yet.

Haynes Forest Products
05-19-2018, 09:04 PM
I agree that aluminum is the next best option. When making your Galvanized hood you will be drilling and cutting leaving raw edges that will rust. I had mine made out of Aluminum and it will fade but stays clean and is light to move up and down. Will last forever.

maple flats
05-20-2018, 07:33 AM
Galvanized can also get some bad things in the syrup. Use aluminum (or SS) Also, use new aluminum, not repurposed. I made 2 hoods in the past using aluminum roof flashing, then I made one using sheet aluminum in the lightest gauge I could get.
Do you still have your grandpa's brake? If yes, you are in good shape. If not, rent or borrow an aluminum trim break.
I just bend the aluminum to shape, with an overlap at all seams, then I pop riveted it using aluminum rivets. For the bottom gutter, I bought some aluminum channel, 1 x 1 x 1 and mitered the corners then aluminum welded it using a torch and aluminum rod (available at TSC and others). If I were doing it again I'd get 1.5 x 1.5 x 1.5 aluminum channel. Design a door in each side of the hood, I made mine sliders.

Ghs57
05-20-2018, 10:08 AM
Go aluminum. I had a local shop cut and bend all my sections, based on my design (for better or worse) and then I drilled and riveted it all together. They even made the 1x1x1 channel I used for the gutter on the base.

Sometimes you have to spend money on materials that are food safe, but there are plenty of other places you can save by DIYing it with recycled materials.