PDA

View Full Version : to much draft

maplekid
08-15-2007, 05:22 PM
is there such thing as to much draft in my evaporator the flames are getting pulled back but theyare totally missing the front pan. i have 8 foot of 6 inch stove pipe. if i puul the grates up some i can get it to slowly boil but not to hard can i usethis as an advantage to making syrup,with the slowness i dont have to much risk of burning the pans( or worse the syrup).any advice would help

royalmaple
08-15-2007, 06:29 PM
Try putting some brick just beyond your grates (kinda like a wall) so it gives the fire a spot to cause some turbulence in the flames and will keep some heat there longer before you send it out the stack, or try a damper in the stack or combo of both.

danno
08-15-2007, 08:27 PM
If you want to make syrup, you want that front pan boiling! If your concerned about burning the pan, run your syrup a little deeper in the pan - closer to 2". Are you burning good, dry wood?

I see a huge differance in boil depending on the wood I'm firing. The brick baffles are a must a well to push those flames/heat into the bottom of the pan.

maplekid
08-15-2007, 09:10 PM
thanks guys i will put some bricks in tomarow and i will devise a way to make the front pan boil