PDA

View Full Version : Divided pan question from new syrup maker

Johnjenner
05-02-2018, 07:46 PM
First let me thank U for the answers you provided so far. I have a question about divided pans. I will be starting out with a 2 x 6 divided pan. I see some have one divider and some have two. Which one should I go for. Any education would be greatly appreciated

Thank you. John

ecolbeck
05-03-2018, 02:28 AM
I think that in general more dividers is better. The more partitions there are the greater a distance the sap must travel as it becomes syrup and the easier it is to create and maintain a gradient. A gradient is the gradual change in density of sap as it becomes syrup.

Big_Eddy
05-03-2018, 02:59 PM
John
Dividers will not increase the evaporation rate. Dividers allow you to establish a difference in concentration (gradient) within the pan. The more dividers there are, the smaller each "section" is, and therefore the smaller each draw of finished syrup can be. Realistically, a 2x6 pan with only 1 divider is not much different than a non-divided pan. You are much better with 2 dividers and would be better still with 3. A smaller last section will also help to allow you to take it to (or close to) finished syrup in the pan.

To take advantage of a divided pan, you must have a draw off spout and valve. One additional comment- dividers are only of value if you plan to leave the sweet in the pans from boil to boil. If you plan to empty the pan after every boil, no dividers are needed.

Haynes Forest Products
05-04-2018, 07:44 AM
John When you say your starting out with this type of pan where did you get it? Is it a stand alone pan from a manufacture or part of a bigger rig your going to use? Big eddy mentioned that you need a draw off valve but without a way to regulate incoming sap your channels don't mean a thing.

The reason larger multi pan rigs have different numbers of channels is to either come off the rig on the right or left side depending on what side they want to draw off. I might caution you to not fall in love with a section of a bigger pan set because its shinny, cheap and available. Without a incoming sap float/regulator and a draw off valve the dividers have no real benefit and will hinder your cooking.

Johnjenner
05-05-2018, 02:29 PM
Nothing has been purchased yet. Just looking for ideas of what to get