PDA

View Full Version : Candy ?

Father & Son
08-14-2007, 09:40 PM
I made a batch of maple candy tonight with more success than in the past. Here's what I did:

Took a pint of light amber and tested for invert sugar. It registered low on my glucometer which means it is 0.4% or less. The maple confections seminar I went to suggested 1% for best results.
Boiled to 240 (244 is target but everything in the past has been too hard) and let cool to 165-170. Poured it into a pyrex measuring cup and started to stir. Just as soon as it started to change looks, color, and started to feel gritty on the bottom of the cup I began to pour into the molds.

My question is,
Why did some of the candies come out looking great and some came out with white edges or completely white? These were side by side, some good some white.
Do the molds need sprayed like sucker molds or is it something else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

ennismaple
08-15-2007, 12:30 PM
Chances are the stuff that turned out white was a bit late getting into the molds. The best way to get good at it is practice.

Sugarmaker
08-21-2007, 08:44 PM
Been practicing for forty years and Jim wins the first place ribbon at the Crawford County fair for his candy and his cream. (my candy did not even place in that class.) Nice Job Jim! Chase also won first in the novice class with some exceptional looking light syrup, Congratulations! Jake Zimmerman also placed in the medium class! Both these new sugar makers and several others form the NWPA region made a good showing.:)

Regards,
Chris