PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum gauge?

doop
04-29-2018, 10:35 PM
So I had gauges on the end of all my 3/16 lines, but they have been more of a pain than helpful. They are always leaking it seems sap gets into them and then they freeze and start leaking. I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas or links to better gauges. Thanks.

JoeJ
04-30-2018, 05:29 AM
I buy my vacuum gauges from Direct Materials. They have a pretty good selection of sizes and styles. No matter how expensive a gauge you purchase, they should be covered in the woods or they will not last. You need to put some weather and sunlight durable material over them. I was using a heavy gauge plastic for a while but that did not last. Now I put a small can over each one and that works out good.

Joe

DrTimPerkins
04-30-2018, 09:04 AM
If they get water in them and start leaking, toss them out. Likely the membrane has ruptured. Put a couple of loops in the line to the gauge to reduce sap moving into them and cover them to prevent rain/show from getting in the case.

mol1jb
04-30-2018, 07:10 PM
How are your lines setup? Do you have them on vac? I did a shurflo pump for the first time this year and ran all my 120 taps on 3/16 right to the pump. I also installed a vac gauge at the pump to help indicate how tight my lines were or if I had to fix leaks. I also had each individual 3/16 run (6 total) with an individual shutoff so I could tell one by one which lines were tight and which were leaky. It is definitely a little more complex than some pump manifolds but it allowed me to use just one gauge for all 6 lines.

maple flats
04-30-2018, 07:47 PM
A gauge like that just at the pump (if you have a pump) can be a help, but a gauge at the far end tells you a whole lot more. How do you hook your gauges up?
I have most of my gauges at the end of the laterals but I also have one at the beginning of each main. Then I close the valve I have for that main and just watch the gauge, if the gauge looses vacuum fast, I walk that main looking at the bubbles entering the main, fast bubbles indicate a leak. After I check all mains I walk the ends of the laterals, there a leak will sometimes be more subtle but you will find them.
I connect all of my vacuum gauges using a DSD saddle on the mains or a T on the laterals, then I use 36-48" of tubing on the saddle to the gauge, a loop helps as Dr Tim said, then I tie it to a tree to hold it up, I don't yet have any covers but I will try some in the future. I find the gauges to be quite cheap in price, but I think it would be a very expensive gauge before the gauge got much more accurate. I use the cheapest I find and I buy a few spares just in case. I have not seen sap get into my gauges.

Sunday Rock Maple
04-30-2018, 08:17 PM
We have a valve followed by a gage at each main line branch off (about 50 in total). We check for leaks by closing the valve and if the gage holds we move on, if it drops we walk the line to find and fix the leak. The gages have been failing on a regular basis and you folks just told me why ---- priceless!